Face Mill With Round Inserts
Does anyone have a face mill, with round inserts?? I have a chance to buy a EMR 5R-63-22-4F face mill that uses RPMT 1003 inserts. Right now its in a MT#3 arbor, but I can change that to to R8 or ISO30 arbor.

How do they differ from a face ill with straight cutting edge?? To me it would that very little of the cutting edge would have contact with the work piece, with such a small contact area, mill hp shouldn't be too much of a problem, or is similar to using a face mill with TPG series inserts, where it hammers the spindle bearings,  is it possible to get a smooth finish??

I bought a 1-1/4 end mill cutter (J&L TDR125888 that uses RPG-42 inserts, with a built in R8 shank, I've never used it, it was part of a shop closing, I got the cutter and the inserts for about $25.
jack
Thanks given by:
I think you have it backwards Jack. A round insert has more edge in contact with the work. I used a fly cutter once that had a round insert and could not get it to stop chattering at any speed on anything more than a light cut.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(11-18-2016, 09:15 PM)TomG Wrote: I think you have it backwards Jack. A round insert has more edge in contact with the work. I used a fly cutter once that had a round insert and could not get it to stop chattering at any speed on anything more than a light cut.

Tom

Thats why I'm asking, I've never used any type of cutter with round inserts. I was thinking if you set the cutter on a piece of metal, it only touches on the point on the edge of the insert. But after reading your response, it appears I forgot the depth of cut, which would alter the contact area dramatically.

thanks, Tom
jack
Thanks given by:
I have never used them.. 

what Tom said makes sense because when I want a glass finish on my shaper I use a large radius tool with a severe negative rake...  Its an interesting question I have wondered what those inserts are really designed for and how they work.

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
I use a round insert in a fly cutter - mainly for aluminium.

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=253

Works well with aluminium.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
 a child of the 60's and 50's and a bit of the 40's Smile
Thanks given by:
I use a round insert for turning wood!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(11-19-2016, 02:41 PM)Vinny Wrote: I use a round insert for turning wood!

Oooooh!, the "W" word

I worked in a furniture factory for 4-5 years, during and right out of high school, if I never see any sawdust, it will be too soon, I have all the respect for those who work with Woo............., I can't even write the word, but it surely isn't me.
jack
Thanks given by:
(11-19-2016, 02:57 PM)the penguin Wrote:

Oooooh!, the "W" word

I worked in a furniture factory for 4-5 years, during and right out of high school, if I never see any sawdust, it will be too soon, I have all the respect for those who work with Woo............., I can't even write the word, but it surely isn't me.

Careful, y'all! That's my livelyhood you're badmouthing!  Rotfl
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
(11-20-2016, 12:12 PM)wawoodman Wrote:
(11-19-2016, 02:57 PM)the penguin Wrote:

Oooooh!, the "W" word

Careful, y'all! That's my livelyhood you're badmouthing!  Rotfl

thank God, someone has to do it, as long as its not me...................
jack
Thanks given by: