Planer Blade Grinder
I need a better system for sharpening the thickness and jointer blades. And a project. 
Started with the fixture that will hold the blade. In order to make that we needed to make a clamp system for the shaper.
Almost at the limit of the shaper cutting 16 inches.
[Image: oWVfNH1DOMR6eTojIcRNc1a3mlcOPxjBUL-WyjUr...5-h1271-no]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, how's that shaper working out for you?
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Haven't used it a lot Dave, as is normal for shapers. I've cut a few keyways and odds and ends with it. Runs great. Do need to come up with or build a suitable vice for it. Im sure it would get a lot more use then.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I have  Grizzly G2790, grinder, I got it from my FIL estate, I've never used it, but before he passed, he said the grinder worked great, gave a nice, sharp, straight blade.
jack
Thanks given by:
I've been using a Delta grinder Jack, does a good job, but a bear to set up, and it uses the side of a cup wheel to give a straight grind, I prefer a hollow grind to hone.
Finished roughing the blade holder on the shaper. Had to tighten up the belts, they were slipping on a .05 doc and .014 feed. Nice big curls but my stroke speed must have been too low, they wouldn't turn blue.
Mounted it in the mill for a couple of light passes to straighten out any warp from stress relief, and chamfer the one edge to clear the grinding wheel.

[Image: cejpY28-pseEnIx_DudtCBCFxHUjSB55X2vizAKe...5-h1271-no]
Greg
Thanks given by:
How big of a vise are you looking for the shaper? I have an old 6" skinner vise I don't use.
Steve S
Check out MyShopNotes on youtube.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Steve, I occasionally steal the 6 inch from the mill but it looks pathetically small on the shaper. Would like to build or find something in the 10 or 12 inch range that had enough clamping force to tough the shaper. I was surprised the setup I used here worked but it did have the show on the end of the table to stop the work from skidding.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Looking forward to this!
Thanks given by:
[Image: jHyoo6QxY9yfgADsdlOaWQYDc2diJw9qy4PLNGRh...lj=s863-no]This 6" is pretty big. 22" overall length, only opens to 6" though.
[Image: 9Wby-ZbOdX_hS5vZs6b6SSeJrLRadN96X5DsYfzG...pp=s863-no]

And it's old so would go nice on the shaper. :-)
Steve S
Check out MyShopNotes on youtube.
Thanks given by:
That is a heavy looking vice, wish I was closer.

Thanks
Greg
Thanks given by: