Planer Blade Grinder
Made up the housing for the linear bearings the blade holder will slide on. Tried with some mystery steel I had, couldn't get it to bore without tearing, hence couldn't hold the tolerances to preload the bearings. Went with aluminum the bore had to be 1.563 +.0005 - .0000, not bad for work in a 16 inch four jaw.

[Image: HromyLsHBvFPzurYFAvt4U_dkHItv68uWkg-POji...5-h1271-no]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(11-21-2016, 02:24 PM)f350ca Wrote: That is a heavy looking vice, wish I was closer.

Thanks

Do you ever get to the Ajax area?
Steve S
Check out MyShopNotes on youtube.
Thanks given by:
meet in the middle perhaps?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hi Steve, not very often I'm afraid, don't like the city at all, had to go to Ottawa the other day and couldn't imagine having to put up with the traffic there, let alone the traffic in your area. My condolences.
Ontario is just about as bad as Australia Darren, the middle would probably be a 2 hour drive. lol
Greg
Thanks given by:
Two hours is nothing Greg Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Easy from my end Darren, all country driving.
I've become lazy I guess, 8 to 10 hours drive to get to a well site was normal, then do the work and drive home, or the next site.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Made the arms? that attach the blade clamp to the linear bearing housing. Im measuring a 2 thou dip in the back fence, this means nothing as the blade will be set forward with adjusting screws. The clamp runs 3 thou high in the middle though, surfaces must not be parallel. Oh for a larger surface grinder to correct this. In reality flexing a 15 inch planer blade a few thou when grinding would make very little difference in the straightens of the cutting edge, and its cutting wood thats going to move around on its own free will. Guarantied this will make them a LOT straighter than Im getting them now.

[Image: cUeelKntxi7zcS-5EKWtn5s9rjlwfoHe3ICPsbNl...5-h1271-no]

[Image: tmgp0TIkSb8yyI8kfwlq_hs3mYV_en66dSyrip81...5-h1271-no]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Have the clamps and back plate with adjusters to set the blade straight made.

[Image: N0cevc5Y8xkTcTs43QSMpqdga-jQnGj2Op1WuH_S...5-h1271-no]

Ground the clamps and back plate just to make them shiny and just cause the surface grinder was sitting there.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Rather than build a grinder head and have to deal with the bulk of a separate motor I bought a Chinese 6 inch grinder. The washers for the wheels were terrible. Had to make new ones to true the wheel, but the motor runs very smooth.

[Image: Nnl2NtpQpI7su5OfmIjj6fyK1HUFs2Kly5dZzzpE...2-h1224-no]

Making the parts for the height adjustment that will control the depth of cut.

[Image: 1M3ZXEpgsEm1GmH5G_J73DiclwzZ2dE-psv7E-I4...2-h1224-no]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Nice work Greg but I do have to ask where you put all of these things that you build? I'm beginning to think that your shop is related to Dr. Who's Tardis.
Thanks given by: