Gear lever not engaging
Hi Guys
Am at my wits end with this bloody machine of mine ~!@#$%^&*()_P

Needed to cut Exterior Metric 1.5mm Threads. Machine panels says engage LCS6Y GEARS. Double-confirm from attached pic.
No problem with the alphabets but the Gear Lever for Numero 6 just won't Engage. That's the Lever in the Centre with the Blue/Red Numbers on either side in second picture.
Tried umpteenth times, even with lathe running in very low speed.  No dice  !!!  It just won't engage into 6. Try any other Number and she is ready to go.  
What am I  doing  wrong  ???
Why or what is causing the Lever to Jam ???
How would one soften the movement on this Lever  ???
Don't know much about these things, but is there no Clutch to soften the movements ???
Would immensely appreciate some help here as the Threads already cut just won't fit the internal one's cut manually with a Die already.
Thanks in advance (TIA)
Kind regards
aRM

Thanks given by:
Thats a lot of levers to set.
The plate mentions going through neutral before selecting a gear, could the numbered shifter still be in another gear? With the lathe running slow make sure the lead screw stops when that shifter is in neutral. Then try for 6th.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: aRM
And the last one is in Z not Y, unless that's just where you stopped.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Do you have more than one lever out of gear?  If so that can be the problem on a lot of lathes.

Also rotate the spindle as you change gears as its a transmission just not synchronized .
Thanks given by:
(11-30-2016, 08:48 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: ...rotate the spindle as you change gears...

Rotate by hand, not under power.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
(12-01-2016, 08:22 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(11-30-2016, 08:48 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: ...rotate the spindle as you change gears...

Rotate by hand, not under power.

Good catch.
Thanks given by:
It says to shift under 600 rpm, my Summit is the same, almost impossible to shift stopped and you don't roll it over by hand in the low gears.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2016, 06:21 PM)f350ca Wrote: It says to shift under 600 rpm, my Summit is the same, almost impossible to shift stopped and you don't roll it over by hand in the low gears.

I still wonder if it has two or more levers out of gear.
Thanks given by:
My lathe has a jog button in, what at first glance, appears to be the strangest place, on the right side, below all the shafts running the length of the bed.

However, when you're crouched down doing the gear changes, it suddenly makes perfect sense.
(11-30-2016, 05:30 PM)f350ca Wrote: Thats a lot of levers to set.
The plate mentions going through neutral before selecting a gear, could the numbered shifter still be in another gear? With the lathe running slow make sure the lead screw stops when that shifter is in neutral. Then try for 6th.

Hi Greg
Indeed, did notice the Lead Screw does stop when in Neutral
Engaging into 6th is like there's no space there 17428
aRM
Thanks given by: