Gear lever not engaging
OK, another question. Can you rotate the spindle by hand?
Thanks given by: aRM
(11-30-2016, 06:19 PM)Vinny Wrote: And the last one is in Z not Y, unless that's just where you stopped.

No Sir Vinny
That pic was taken long before this debacle
aRM
Thanks given by:
(11-30-2016, 08:48 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Do you have more than one lever out of gear?  If so that can be the problem on a lot of lathes.

Also rotate the spindle as you change gears as its a transmission just not synchronized .

Hello Doc
All the Levers were set at the specified Thread per the diagram
Now that's something we need to try - rotate the Spindle and maybe mesh the Gears whilst trying at the same time to change the Shifting Lever to 6th
Need give that another shot
aRM
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2016, 08:22 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(11-30-2016, 08:48 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: ...rotate the spindle as you change gears...

Rotate by hand, not under power.

Yes, Siree
"By hand" - will try that again
aRM
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2016, 10:04 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote: My lathe has a jog button in, what at first glance, appears to be the strangest place, on the right side, below all the shafts running the length of the bed.

However, when you're crouched down doing the gear changes, it suddenly makes perfect sense.

AL, my Jog Button is that Black one on the right of the big Red Emergency Stop Button
Am a bit fearful of using that when changing Gears
Usually use that when changing speeds
aRM
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2016, 10:33 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: OK, another question.  Can you rotate the spindle by hand?

DOC, usually do that when changing Speeds
And it is a bit difficult in the much slower speeds
However, i need to try that now whilst -re-setting all the Gear Levers and then see if we can get the Gears to mesh whilst coaxing the Shifting Lever to 6th
Must thank all U Guys for Your input here.
Sorry I could not come back to You'll earlier, this site kept freezing on me yesterday.
In the interim got me a Die Stock yesterday, as I had the Adjustable Round Split 22 Die, to tackle this problem manually as well. Yeah, I know now and realised that a hexagon Die would have been much better and easier to work with.
Will give it another shot again today and hope we can resolve this issue finally.
Keep Your fingers crossed for me Guys. I really need this to come right.
aRM
Thanks given by:
As well as rotating the spindle by hand, try also rotating the leadscrew by hand as you engage the gear. Also, have you tried selecting the problem gear with the other levers in different positions? I think that if all of these suggestions don't help, the problem is likely something other than just the gear teeth not lining up.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by: aRM
(12-02-2016, 03:27 AM)Pete O Wrote: As well as rotating the spindle by hand, try also rotating the leadscrew by hand as you engage the gear. Also, have you tried selecting the problem gear with the other levers in different positions? I think that if all of these suggestions don't help, the problem is likely something other than just the gear teeth not lining up.

Hi Pete O
Will try that with the Leadscrew - with some misgivings 'cos it's quite heavy
U right, we need try different Gear positions as well.
Just spoke to the lathe supplier as well, who says the SPLINE SHAFT is broken 'cos we usually did not stop the Machine at the end of the thread run before engaging Reverse, which we were (incorrectly) doing all along. Chin He says we all do that and that's what causes the SPLINE SHAFT to break. 17428 We always threaded from the Tailstock end towards the spindle and seldom used our Footbrake. He said that was why the Brake was there !!! And we always thread with the HALF-NUT fully engaged all the while - unlike how U Guys do it.
Seems like we are in the deep end here Bash
Anyway, will go and try what U suggested now and see what gives. Will keep You'll posted.
Thanks for taking time to give us a hand here
LORD BLESS all U Guys
aRM
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2016, 03:27 AM)Pete O Wrote: As well as rotating the spindle by hand, try also rotating the leadscrew by hand as you engage the gear. Also, have you tried selecting the problem gear with the other levers in different positions? I think that if all of these suggestions don't help, the problem is likely something other than just the gear teeth not lining up.

Hi Pete
Just went and tried those two methods - rotating the spindle by Hand and also rotating the Lead screw, which was not so bad after all 'cos it spun freely in the Neutral position.
No dice 17428 The Shift Lever just would not enter 6th. Enters 4th and 8th fine, not 6th Bash In fact with turning the Leadscrew even #1 is lots more easier now 'cos that always gave us beans as well. It does help.
I also tried the alpha Levers in different positions as well. The 1.75 Thread in the #8 position engaged fine. Even moved the Alpha Levers in other positions and tried the #6 - all to no avail, sadly.
Would like to open 'er up and find the SPLINE SHAFT that bloke was talking about.
Any ideas ??? Is it immediately behind the shift Lever, 'cos the face can easily be removed. Otherwise getting into the innards is just not our forte.
Do let us know
TIA
aRM
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2016, 07:05 AM)aRM Wrote:

Just spoke to the lathe supplier as well, who says the SPLINE SHAFT is broken 'cos we usually did not stop the Machine at the end of the thread run before engaging Reverse, which we were (incorrectly) doing all along.  Chin  He says we all do that and that's what causes the SPLINE SHAFT to break.  17428  We always threaded from the Tailstock end towards the spindle and seldom used our Footbrake. He said that was why the Brake was there  !!!  And we always thread with the HALF-NUT fully engaged all the while - unlike how U Guys do it.

Do you have the machine manual including an exploded view?  If not get back with the supplier and get one as it will assist in the tear down & reassembly.  An additional technique is to take pics of the tear down piece by piece.

BTW, for internal threading I typically run the spindle in reverse with the threading tool upside down on the back side of the bore going from the bottom of the bore toward the tailstock.  Helps to virtually eliminate internal threading crashes.

I also either use the DRO or a travel indicator to set "0" at the bottom of the bore and make an internal groove in which to start the thread.
Thanks given by: