Lathe and mill benches
I'm looking for plans for a nice, simple to make, sturdy(wood) work bench for my mill and lathe. I would prefer drawers for storage to cabinets. I'm not very good at designing these things by myself. My current mill bench is a section of old kitchen cabinet that was in my garage when I bought my house. It is wobbly and inefficient for storage.
I built a 8'x18' extension on the back of my garage for my shop(with help).
I have been searching the web and found a few, but not getting enough detail to start building.
I also plan to build several wall shelf units that will be hung on French cleats.
I have found a book by Tom Clark, titled 'Practical Shop Cabinets' for under $20. Anybody have this book?
I'm open to paid for plans if relatively cheap, and easy for a dummy like me to follow.
I have the usual homeowners/diy tools, skill saw, table saw, router, etc. Suggestions welcome...

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
Chuck,

Are you looking for one work bench for both or separate work benches?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Instead of paying for plans, consider visiting your local Library for cabinet and carpentry related books ?
Mike
Thanks given by:
Ed, I want to build one for each. I plan to put them on casters for mobility.

Mike, I have thought of the Library.

Chuck
Thanks given by:
How heavy are the two machines?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Here's something to consider:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Workbench-Sh...3641.l6368

I know I've seen kits that use metal connectors & 2X4's for the legs, but where & when ? ? ?

I built similar units using surplus racking out of a Toyota plant (approx 2 1/2 X 4) and solid core doors salvaged from a hotel being demolished.  Just about everything that wasn't nailed down and some that was, a liquidation company sold off to recuperate some of the demo costs.  An old apartment building, nursing home, hospital, etc would also be a good source.  Covered one with commercial bathroom wall covering for a nice stain resistant top with rough surface makes it very easy to pick up small items.  If you have or have access to oxy/fuel welding equipment welding the frames together is easy.

For drawers/cabinets look for a local unfinished cabinetry shop and make the benches accordingly.  Buying drawer slides and making your own is another possibility.  Used roll-a-round tool cabinets is another thought. Just make sure the bottoms of the drawers are sturdy.

You'll want to use some very heavy duty swivel casters with locks on benches like these.

If you have access to a CAD program draw it up first.  That saves lots of time & trouble.  If that's not available draw it up to scale by hand even if you have to use a T-square,  a big old sheet of paper, a #2 pencil on top of a piece of 4 X 8 sheet goods and saw horses.
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2016, 05:29 PM)Vinny Wrote: How heavy are the two machines?

X2 mill, 7x14 mini lathe. Don't know their weight off hand.

Chuck
Thanks given by:
For those smaller machines you could get away with using toolbox roller cabinets.
Steve S
Check out MyShopNotes on youtube.
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2016, 08:15 PM)schor Wrote: For those smaller machines you could get away with using toolbox roller cabinets.

Smiley-signs009
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2016, 07:40 PM)chucketn Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 05:29 PM)Vinny Wrote: How heavy are the two machines?

X2 mill, 7x14 mini lathe. Don't know their weight off hand.

Chuck

I have both of those, and they are mounted to the same bench.  Mill on the end, lathe on the side.  Of course my bench is made of welded angle iron (obtained from work), but a well built 2x4 bench would be plenty strong enough.  There really aren't many lateral forces working on a bench like that.

I recommend that you drill through the members, and use carriage bolts with nuts.  My other workbench is home made, and I used lags.  That one has gotten a little loose over the years, and it doesn't even get moved around.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by: