Bang Good ER32 x R8 Milling Arbor
About 2 months ago, I purchased a ER32 x R8 arbor, from Bang Good. The arbor came about 3 weeks ago and looks real good, the ER32 collet set, arrived yesterday. I checked the run out, with a hardened steel 1/2" dowel pin. It was terrible, somewhere in the .017" range, obviously I was not happy, but it was only $16. I checked the arbor, the inside taper had a lump in it, pushing the collet off center. I put the arbor in the lathe and set up and took 3 or 4 light cuts in the taper and cut the high spot out. I rechecked the run out after the clean up. Now I'm really happy, the run out now is less than .001", I also checked with a 1/4" , 3/8" and 3/4" dowel pins, with similar results, very low if any run out.

I was very surprised by the look of the ER32 collets, each was packed in a plastic sleeve and in a plastic slip bag, the fit and finish was amazing. I'm now looking for a ER32 chuck for the lathe and maybe look at a better quality ER32 x R8 arbor.
jack
Thanks given by:
Learned two things from the post, 1 you're at home 2 using the time wisely. Just received some inserts from banggood also, forgot I ordered them LOL...

Or Santa lives in china :-)
Greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
What is the advantage of the ER 32 and collets, rather than just using R8 collets? You still need to change for each size, don't you?
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
Better range and easier collet change. Once the collet chuck is in and tightened up, you only have to unscrew the nut on the chuck to change the collet. No more standing on tip toe or a crate to wrestle with the drawbar. It is much quicker.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I see. Thanks.
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
Plus, with the column spacer installed, I need the collet chuck to reach the table.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(12-20-2016, 09:00 AM)the penguin Wrote: About 2 months ago, I purchased a ER32 x R8 arbor, from Bang Good. The arbor came about 3 weeks ago

I recently purchased a digital rpm gauge from Bang Good and was thinking they should be called "Bang Bad".
Now I'll just be a bit more patient and see if I remember what I wanted it for when it arrives. Blush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I'd like to get an ER40 x R8 collet chuck for my mill. I have the collets for the lathe already so it would be nice to utilize them on the mill also.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Between yesterday and today, I ran the mill, with the ER32 x R8 arbor, with an ER32 1/2" collet, using a 1/2" carbide end mill, as expected, the results were more than acceptable. No issues at all.

I've been using the Grizzly T10068 collet arbor set on the milling machines (one on the Jet mill and one on the Franken-Mill, with R8 shanks and one for the Jet lathe, with a MT#3 shank) that uses the DIN #6388-SYOZ-25 collets. I have 3 sets of collets from 1/8" to 1", the system is very good. 

The ER32 x R8 arbor/collet system  is smaller than the Grizzly system (the ER32 x R8 arbor only goes to 13/16") and is 3/4" shorter (if space is an issue). The ER32 collets are a lot easier to find and a lot cheaper  to buy, than the DIN #6388-SYOZ-25 collets. I haven't used a R8 collet since I went to the external collet arbor system.
jack
Thanks given by:
ER40 will get you above an inch.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: