LOW PROFILE CLAMPS (again)
Hi Guys
We want to make a few of these Harold Hall designed Clamps. Specifically the ones Second and Third from Right as in the picture.
What we'd like to know is which design will be the ones generating the greatest torque ???
Material we will use will be hardenable Tool Steel.
However, would it be necessary to harden these given that they would have enough mass and be quite bulky anyway ???
We intend using these for Machining Steel on our Bridgeport clone. Guess U Guys are more familiar with required sizes there.
We looked at some Vertex production ones which were 45 mm in length with a height of 30 mm and the "T" Height we like as 10 mm
Hawkeye used a 15 Degree Angle to make his, which we will also stick to for the gradient as well as drilling and Threading for the SHCS.
And would 8 mm Grub screws and Socket Head Caps be sufficient for generating ample hold-down force ???
Would immensely appreciate U Guys suggestions and recommendations here.
Thanks a zillion in advance
aRM

Thanks given by:
Hello

From left to right the second one is the design i made and they work a treat, i did not harden them not worth it I made mine from Hot-rolled steel i found many uses for them especially on a face plate. The other design actually forces the part down i would imagine again another very smart idea from this man... make both don't worry about hardening them you will not be sorry..

Best of luck

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
(12-22-2016, 07:11 PM)ieezitin Wrote: Hello
From left to right the second one is the design i made and they work a treat, i did not harden them not worth it I made mine from Hot-rolled steel i found many uses for them especially on a face plate. The other design actually forces the part down i would imagine again another very smart idea from this man... make both don't worry about hardening them you will not be sorry..
Best of luck
Anthony.

Hi Anthony
Thanks for this response.
This now gives us the pluck and incentive to go ahead with this long-overdue project.
Yes indeed, very good ideas from the Man.
Much appreciated and
LORD BLESS
aRM
Thanks given by:
(12-22-2016, 07:11 PM)ieezitin Wrote: Hello
Best of luck
Anthony.

Merry Christmas, Anthony
Don't know if U will have time to respond to this soon.
However, we not going anywhere soon, so we can wait for U. And we can commence machining the other parts of this project in the interim.
One Question, please.
Is the hole Drilled and Tapped also at an Angle for the Loose Clamping Bar that is tightened down against sundry part ???
Or methinks it ought to be Vertical to be able to apply the greater Torque when the SHCS is tightened against the sundry part to be held down.
Do kindly confirm which it is.
Thanks in advance
And enjoy Your Festivities safely
LORD Bless
aRM
Thanks given by:
Arm

Not sure of your question but here is the link to my build post on the ones I made....this may clear up what you want to know.

Read through the build, a poster gives a link to the blue print on making these clamps from Harold Halls site... I have loaded a copy of the prints of these type clamps shown in my original build post here for you now.

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,111...#msg130409

If i were to make these again i would make two sets, one set to size as shown in the drawings and another set 2'' taller.. they are very easy to make and fun to build..  enjoy..

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by: aRM