Anyone machined forklift tine material?
I had a bit of a clean-up after my carport rebuild this afternoon and took a load to the local scrap metal place. I was poking around looking for some suitable material to make some QCTP holders. Couldn't find any suitable flat bar but I noticed they had several forklift tines in the pile- they're scrapped when they wear down below a certain thickness at the heel. The vertical portion of one of these tines would be a good size to get a few holders out of, I'm wondering if the stuff would be a problem to machine? Anyone know what the material is that is usually used? All I know is that they're strong as all get-out.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
I've seen other use those for that exact same purpose. Have at it!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Didn't ask the guy what he would want for one, next time I'm there I'll maybe pick one up.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
I have a length cut from a tine waiting to be turned into Vee blocks for straightening shafts in my Epco 60 ton press - it's on the roundtuit list !

It cut nicely on the band saw
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
I shortened a set for someone and have the section that was cut out. They weld nice and the weld seams to hold so they can't have too high a carbon content. Maybe 4140?
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
hi rob Wilson uses that stuff all the time
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: