Help metal lathe/milling machine dimensions
I am getting assembled a milling machine and lathe with a 14" swing and 60" bed with 0.001" work accuracy. The lathe must cut threads and accept 5c collets with a 2 and 16th " through spindle bore. It will eventually be converted to cnc and have a dro. It will use a single phase to 3 phase 6hp ac vfd. Does anyone have DETAILED blueprints for such a lathe and milling machine or know where I could buy them. TIA
Thanks given by:
Why do you want blueprints? You are not going to build anything remotely close to resembling your wish list. Further, you haven't told us anything about the specifications for the mill.

Your only options in Australia are to buy used, which generally means whatever you can find and make do with, or you buy new from Hare & Forbes (expensive) or try importing from OS.

Keep in mind that you will spend two to three times the cost of the machines in tooling and for most, this is accumulated over a number of years. That is unless you win the lotto, inherit a bucket load of money or are going to take out a loan.

Finally, .001" work accuracy comes down to the operator's ability much more than the machines quality or tolerances. There are guys on this forum who can get better than .001" on old, worn machines, whilst there are people out there who would struggle to get to within .005" on the most expensive precision lathe.

For us to be most helpful to you, it would be useful to know what you are intending to use the machines for. Also, ER collets are probably a better choice if starting from scratch, as both can easily be used in the lathe and mill.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Meyhem,

Picked up something I'd not read before: "ER collets are probably a better choice if starting from scratch, as both can easily be used in the lathe and mill" Something to remember for sure.

Thanks,
Greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
(12-25-2016, 07:22 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Why do you want blueprints?  You are not going to build anything remotely close to resembling your wish list.  Further, you haven't told us anything about the specifications for the mill.

Your only options in Australia are to buy used, which generally means whatever you can find and make do with, or you buy new from Hare & Forbes (expensive) or try importing from OS.

Keep in mind that you will spend two to three times the cost of the machines in tooling and for most, this is accumulated over a number of years.  That is unless you win the lotto, inherit a bucket load of money or are going to take out a loan.

Finally, .001" work accuracy comes down to the operator's ability much more than the machines quality or tolerances.  There are guys on this forum who can get better than .001" on old, worn machines, whilst there are people out there who would struggle to get to within .005" on the most expensive precision lathe.

For us to be most helpful to you, it would be useful to know what you are intending to use the machines for.  Also, ER collets are probably a better choice if starting from scratch, as both can easily be used in the lathe and mill.

Mate , I will say thank you for your advice. I will buy used as per your statement. I do not know what you mean about the specification of for the mill. I intend to use the both the lathe and milling machine for general metal working projects ranging from the easiest to the hardest as a labour of love so to speak . I have no idea what er collets are but am about to look into them right now. Thank ou for your advice . Without people like you and mrpete222 the world would be a lot poorer.
Thanks given by:
"Magazines have issues, everything else has problems"
Luv it ;)
Thanks given by:
(12-26-2016, 01:28 AM)stefanblumhoff Wrote: Mate , I will say thank you for your advice. I will buy used as per your statement. I do not know what you mean about the specification of for the mill. I intend to use the both the lathe and milling machine for general metal working projects ranging from the easiest to the hardest as a labour of love so to speak . I have no idea what er collets are but am about to look into them right now. Thank ou for your advice . Without people like you and mrpete222 the world would be a lot poorer.

I recommend that you look into course work at a local poly-tech, vocational school or similar location.  Its better if you are guided in a way that will maximize your learning and minimize chances for injury to yourself or the equipment.  I'm not familiar with the technical education available down under so it may be wise to seek out a machine shop and ask for information on such training.
Thanks given by:
(12-26-2016, 01:28 AM)stefanblumhoff Wrote: ...I do not know what you mean about the specification of for the mill...

You gave us certain specifications for the lathe (size, spindle bore etc) but nothing for the mill (e.g. horizontal versus vertical, spindle taper, table size etc).

Have a look through the milling machine section of this forum and you will see examples of the different types and sizes available. I don't know what the second hand market is like in Victoria (Pete O may be able to chime in here) but you may be able to find a business that is closing down or upgrading their machines.

(12-26-2016, 01:32 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: I recommend that you look into course work at a local poly-tech, vocational school or similar location...I'm not familiar with the technical education available down under so it may be wise to seek out a machine shop and ask for information on such training.

Unless you want to do a pre-apprenticeship, there is pretty much nothing available here (in WA at least). I looked into this several years ago when I was getting started and all roads led to a dead end. However, it may be different in the eastern states.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(12-26-2016, 09:59 AM)Bigtrev Wrote: "Magazines have issues, everything else has problems"
Luv it ;)

Thanks, I always wonder if folks get it .... Big Grin

Greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
(12-26-2016, 07:45 PM)Mayhem Wrote: I don't know what the second hand market is like in Victoria (Pete O may be able to chime in here) but you may be able to find a business that is closing down or upgrading their machines.

(12-26-2016, 01:32 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: I recommend that you look into course work at a local poly-tech, vocational school or similar location...I'm not familiar with the technical education available down under so it may be wise to seek out a machine shop and ask for information on such training.

Unless you want to do a pre-apprenticeship, there is pretty much nothing available here (in WA at least). I looked into this several years ago when I was getting started and all roads led to a dead end. However, it may be different in the eastern states.

Just got internet back after losing it on Christmas day. Seems a rat chewed something...

I've observed the second-hand market fluctuate wildly here over the past couple of years, the prices of used industrial gear seemed to take a big dive about a year ago but there is also a burgeoning hobby market, the key seems to be to access the industrial stuff whilst avoiding the hobbyists (like ourselves). Mid-week clearing sales are great if you are happy (as I am) with obsolete equipment that is of no interest to industry. Sydney seems to be the epicentre of used machining stuff but if you keep an eye on the industrial auctioneers sites you can do well. As Darren said, the tooling is where you can spend a bomb, this is where clearing sales come into their own- there can be all manner of tooling suited to the machines on offer.

I had a look around for beginner courses and found nothing. That's why I flood this forum with dumb questions.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
I'm not a fan of Chinese machine tools, but there always the exception.  Shopmaster is a CNC lathe/mill combo that is worth looking at.  https://www.shopmasterusa.com/

About 10 years ago I set up a CNC lab with 10 or 12 their machines.  The iron was better than I expected, but the software simply ran in a shell under Windows and was limited.  My understanding now is that the software has undergone major revisions.

I recognize this would require shipping from the US but if you contact them they may know of a similar outfit down under.
Thanks given by: