mmm storage
in years past i had a rather large workshop an most metal i had was 3 to 6 meter long so a long wall rack was the best with my cuttoff saws at the end with a few roller stands to hold the pipe bar ect
my problem now is im sick to death of hunting through milk crates to find bits for the lathe or mill
how do you fellas stor your ally/steel bits of round n square ect that are 12inches long or less
thanks in advance an happy new years to you all stay safe healthy n hopefully wealthy
cheers ron Smiley-eatdrink004
Thanks given by:
(01-03-2017, 09:04 PM)oldskoolron Wrote: in years past i had a rather large workshop an most metal i had was 3 to 6 meter long so a long wall rack was the best with my cuttoff saws at the end with a few roller stands to hold the pipe bar ect
my problem now is im sick to death of hunting through milk crates to find bits for the lathe or mill
how do you fellas stor your ally/steel bits of round n square ect that are 12inches long or less
thanks in advance an happy new years to you all stay safe healthy n hopefully wealthy
cheers ron Smiley-eatdrink004

5 gallon (approx 19 liters) poly buckets.  I know your pain.
Thanks given by:
Cardboard tubes. Hopefully I'll come up with something after I finish the remodel.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
I had planned on using the yellow bins in the picture below but they are way to flimsy so I'm going to make wooden versions of them which will then be put on the stock shelf.

Ed

Thanks given by:
(01-03-2017, 11:43 PM)Vinny Wrote: Cardboard tubes.  Hopefully I'll come up with something after I finish the remodel.

That got me to thinking.  How about 4" or larger PVC pipe cut 12" long and assembled to resemble a wine rack?
Thanks given by:
Your scrap even looks neat Ed.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: EdK
(01-04-2017, 01:19 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: That got me to thinking.  How about 4" or larger PVC pipe cut 12" long and assembled to resemble a wine rack?

That's what I plan on doing with this cubby hole at the top of my stock shelf. I was just throwing round stock in there and that wasn't good on the nice drill rod I have so I'm going to get some PVC pipe and fill up the cubby hole with it to help separate the different types of metal rod.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Associated thread
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: EdK
(01-04-2017, 01:19 PM)Dr Stan Wrote:
(01-03-2017, 11:43 PM)Vinny Wrote: Cardboard tubes.  Hopefully I'll come up with something after I finish the remodel.

That got me to thinking.  How about 4" or larger PVC pipe cut 12" long and assembled to resemble a wine rack?

Funny, it never even occurred to me till I saw this. I had some 4' rods (some hex, some round, some all-thread) that I got in that auction. Not needing it right away in the shop, I screwed a 4" PVC pipe to the corner of two shelves about 3' long and capped the bottom and put the rods in that.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: