My homemade drilling and tapping arm
Very impressive. Forgot to mention, love the table.
As much as I'd like to have one Im running out of space. If I get the blacksmith shop heated it could go on the T-Slot table though.
Thanks
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg this toy is right up your alley! Notice the post that supports the swing arm is built exactly like a woodsplitter. You have a magnet drill so just build a mount for it. No need to mess with building the head. I built the head because I wanted to try and build something with slides and ways. If I would build it from scratch I would use linear rails for the head to ride on. I used a gas shock/spring for the head instead of a clock spring to raise the head. The one I used just counter balances the head. That is what I wanted. The pump I have on it now is great for tapping but not enough flow for drilling. Top RPM at the moment is 180. That will be rectified soon with a bigger pump. I want a top RPM of 800. That is enough for me.
Thanks given by:
The magnet drill belongs to a buddy, its been stored here for years. It would need a pretty substantial arm, the thing weighs a ton. Could use some work, he made it out of several parted out ones. The gibs need to be scraped.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
The design & build of the arm are excellent.  However, get rid of the gloves & loose clothing while operating rotating equipment.  Yes I understand it cold, but doing so puts yourself at risk.  I've worked were we could see our breath inside the shop, but we still followed basic safety procedures.

When I worked at Superior Hone in FL the brand new building had neither heat nor AC.  One winter a co-worker wore coveralls to stay warm and would use masking tape to secure the cuffs.  One day he was running late coming back from lunch and he skipped the tapping.  He was running a BP vertical mill and reached around the back side of the vise with a 6 inch scale while he was fly cutting.  The fly cutter grabbed the cuff and pulled him into the mill.  Fortunately the mill was belt driven so he bear hugged the mill stopping the spindle allowing another co-worker the opportunity to stop the spindle.  There was just some minor road rash on the outside of his arm, but the tendons in the arm were severely damaged.
Thanks given by:
(01-08-2017, 11:57 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: The design & build of the arm are excellent.  However, get rid of the gloves & loose clothing while operating rotating equipment.  Yes I understand it cold, but doing so puts yourself at risk.  I've worked were we could see our breath inside the shop, but we still followed basic safety procedures.

When I worked at Superior Hone in FL the brand new building had neither heat nor AC.  One winter a co-worker wore coveralls to stay warm and would use masking tape to secure the cuffs.  One day he was running late coming back from lunch and he skipped the tapping.  He was running a BP vertical mill and reached around the back side of the vise with a 6 inch scale while he was fly cutting.  The fly cutter grabbed the cuff and pulled him into the mill.  Fortunately the mill was belt driven so he bear hugged the mill stopping the spindle allowing another co-worker the opportunity to stop the spindle.  There was just some minor road rash on the outside of his arm, but the tendons in the arm were severely damaged.

Thank you for the compliment on the arm.

The gloves I am wearing are only a little bit more robust than latex gloves. I buy them by the dozens. Yes it is a good practice not to wear loose clothing or gloves.
Thanks given by: