Indexing tool types, I'm confused!
Thanks for all the input fellas. Ill take your advice and buy a quality right hand tool that takes CCMT inserts.

Ed, Darren,
The max size tool a standard Myford quick change tool holder can handle is 10mm without any modification. It's the tool height on centre which is the limiting factor. You can clamp a 1/2" (12mm) tool in the holder without any problem but then the tool tip is too high. It would seem the thing to do is milli/grind a small relief in the tool holder which lowers it enough to centre the tip without affecting the performance.  Rightly or wrongly I thought it would be best to go to 1/2" tooling for the rigidity. I've ordered some tool holders and will get them modified to take the 1/2" holders when I get back.  If only I had a Bridgeport!

Talking of which,  I've had an interesting old time with the Bridgeport over the last week or so, I've made some classic novice 'Cock Up's' and will update the thread over the weekend. 

Once again thank you to everyone for the information.

Smiley-eatdrink004
John Cool
Thanks given by:
I know it's a left hander but is this the sort of tool I should be looking out for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANDVIK-SCLCL-12...Swa~BYN5PP
Thanks given by:
Ed has just posted a pic of the toolholders I refer to in the "latest delivery" thread. The one you linked to uses the insert I was talking about.

Be careful when modifying the tool post, as you may end up will less rigidity. Can you post a pic of the tool holder?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2017, 07:37 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Ed has just posted a pic of the toolholders I refer to in the "latest delivery" thread.   The one you linked to uses the insert I was talking about.

Be careful when modifying the tool post, as you may end up will less rigidity.  Can you post a pic of the tool holder?

Here you go Darren! this is what i'm on about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IzKCXwjjsM

I recommend you don't watch it all as you could end up in a coma, the last minuet of the video shows all. This bloke reminds me of my old Physics teacher, no wonder i could never stay awake in class!

Smiley-eatdrink004
John
Thanks given by:
coma is right! If it were me, I think I'd have modified the compound.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2017, 07:07 PM)Mayhem Wrote: To start with, you might be better off to get some HSS blanks and grind your tools. You can do this on your belt sander.

+1

Ed
Thanks given by:
Last nite I was nosing around on ebay for an SCLCR holder and came across these. One's a 10mm shank the other is 12mm. The 12mm with 10 inserts was about $14 (Chinese, I know) and the 10mm with one insert was ... ready for this?: One cent.

10mm:
[Image: 1010.jpg]

12mm:
[Image: 1212.jpg]
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
$50 shipping!
Thanks given by:
Nope.  The 12mm was 1.98 and the 10mm was 6.00.
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2017, 06:22 PM)EdK Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 06:02 PM)f350ca Wrote: I agree you'll probably use the left hand one the most

I think you mean the right hand which is angled towards the chuck, to the left. It make no sense why they call it a right hand tool when it angles to the left but I'm sure there's a good reason. Ken could educate us but he bailed.  Sad

Ed

It goes back to wood turning, right hand tool was dug into the work with the right hand (so moves from right to left), left hand tool dug in from the left (and moves to the right). A lot get this wrong and complain they've been sent the wrong one (and in the UK, the seller of the green machines doesn't even know which is which, he's only been selling the crap for 40 years...)

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by: EdK