Small Boring tools
Hello,

I am making the valve chest and slide bar for my 3/4" miniature traction engine, both out of CZ121 brass. I need to bore out holes in them, both 8mm dia., one through hole (25mm) and one blind hole (30mm).

Can anyone direct me to a suitable boring bar? I'm having trouble identifying any, I do not have any small enough. I've considered reaming but surely boring is easier for blind hole.

RandaB      5176
Thanks given by:
You know, end mills make very nice boring bars in a pinch. 1/4"x1" long four flute end mills are readily available over here, so I imagine something suitable is available over there as well. Just set them up on center and slightly angled to get some clearance. Obviously, use the largest one practical.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Tom,
Would a 4-flute be center cutting? I was under the impression that (generally) 2-flute are, and 4-flute aren't. Or, can you find it if you look for it?
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
You drill the entry hole as you would for a boring bar first Mike, then go in with the end mill using only one flute. I've done this several times on tough material like stainless using carbide end mills. They seam to be less prone to chatter as well.
Along the same line, you can grind away three of the four flutes of a tap, then grind away all but the first couple of teeth then use it for single point threading and get full form threads.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(01-21-2017, 05:10 PM)wawoodman Wrote: Tom,
Would a 4-flute be center cutting? I was under the impression that (generally) 2-flute are, and 4-flute aren't. Or, can you find it if you look for it?

Yes, you can get both 4-flute and 2-flute end mills that are center cutting. That's the only type I buy.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(01-21-2017, 06:14 PM)f350ca Wrote: You drill the entry hole as you would for a boring bar first Mike, then go in with the end mill using only one flute. I've done this several times on tough material like stainless using carbide end mills. They seam to be less prone to chatter as well.
Along the same line, you can grind away three of the four flutes of a tap, then grind away all but the first couple of teeth then use it for single point threading and get full form threads.

Maybe I'm thinking about this backwards. 

So you put the workpiece on a lathe faceplate, and hold the end mill in the toolholder. Move the end mill into the work, pull it back, retract the compound a few thousandths, move the end mill in, rinse and repeat. Correct?
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
Mike,

Yes your thought is correct. 

Anthony/
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Thanks!
Mike

Thanks given by: