Idea Converting a vertical wood band saw to metal cutting
Thanks. Those are all fair comments based on what I posted. Those pics were all taken a while back when the project was still in process. Rest assured that the covers over the wheels are on the saw and all of the electrical stuff is buttoned up and dust-proofed. I do electrical/electronics stuff on some pretty critical systems for a living, so I'm actually pretty good about that stuff in my shop at home. I suppose that may explain the approach I took here.

I do have to admit that I still have not fabricated a proper belt guard for it. I do need to do that but as it's on the far side of the saw from where I work, it's easy to put off the project. Dumb, but guilty as charged. :) Good excuse to trot out the TIG welder, I suppose. I mean if a home shop guy can't over-complicate a simple sheet metal cover, who can?

Tom, the turnbuckle belt tensioner was one of those last minute "what do I have handy" things. The motor pivots from the back end, the gearbox end is unsupported except by the belt. I had figured on the weight of of the motor giving enough tension on the belt to keep things moving, but found that at low speeds I could stall the blade and the belt would slip. Looking around the shop, the turnbuckle was sitting there suggesting itself for this use. Clearly, this was what this turnbuckle was created to do!
I figure one day I might swap out the pulleys and vee belt for a toothed belt and eliminate that issue, but it has not been enough of a priority to actually do it. It's on the list...

Thanks, I appreciate the comments!
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Converting a vertical wood band saw to metal cutting - by alanganes - 06-19-2017, 05:34 PM