Lathe chuck jaws
Hello.

chucks are for workholding .. chucks are not precision. collets will get you close to to being repeatable but a struggle. have a chuck that can be nudged.

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
(03-21-2017, 06:57 PM)ieezitin Wrote: chucks are not precision. collets will get you close to to being repeatable but a struggle

This is where the independent 4-jaw chuck shines.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-21-2017, 07:19 AM)Mayhem Wrote: I think that stevec may have done this in the past and posted it here.
Mayhem, that's quite a memory you have! I have yet to get/make a backing plate for it and I haven't even made the soft jaws for it.
Maybe some day I'll get a "round to-it".
Steve
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Ieezitin, post up your picture of your circular pop on jaw adaptors that you posted on Madmodder - they would probably help the OP.
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
Wongster, what you want to do is google "lathe soft jaw manufacturer". You'll get dozens of hits.

Ideally, you would find a set of jaws for your chuck which is 2 parts: the "master jaw" which has the scroll thread and is hardened, plus a raised key and threaded holes to hold the "soft jaws" on top in precision alignment.

There are steel and aluminum soft jaws available.

IIRC, you said the chuck is made by Romi, which is a fairly well-known MFG, and should have soft jaws available.
Thanks given by:
Hello guys,

Thanks for all your inputs. I found 2 sources selling Rohm's unhardened jaws a distributor locally. Unfortunately, the local distributor requires me to have a company before they can provide me with a quote. I'll just buy a set through Proxxon when they come back with the cost to ship. I'll be adding the safety cover to make it worth the while. Broke my 2nd piece last week but it's holding up with those ultra violet hardened glue (5-sec fix).

Al, I've been going through Rohm's site for the past week. couldn't find the exact same chuck to ID which one fit. Got a breakthrough when Proxxon replied to my mail and, upon me insisting to see a pic, provided me with the part number on the box. I'm checking with the rep now on the correct 2-piece jaw set to purchase. That will have the master jaws and unhardened parts like you mentioned.

Appreciate all your inputs!

Wongster
Wongster
http://www.wongstersproduction.com

Proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2012.
Thanks given by: