Shop Fire lesson from Garage Journal
This was recently posted on GJ and serves as a good reminder regarding shop safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0CPhmplHek

If it does not go to the correct post go to YouTube and search for "Surviving my own Stupidity".
Thanks given by:
He was so lucky.
I always hang any solvent or oil soaked rags on the edge of the can where they can get lots of air. Didn't realize that linseed oil would spontaneously combust like that. Yikes

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I either hang them on the grinder or over the sink, which they both are only a few inches apart.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
I put mine in a metal can with a lid.
Steve S
Check out MyShopNotes on youtube.
Thanks given by:
I do similar to Vinny. Open them up fully so air can circulate around them and drape them over something none combustible.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I helped with a couple of workshops at Lee Valley Tools last week. We used a mix of linseed oil and beeswax as a finish. All the used brushes were put into a container of water for later disposal. Same warning on the can.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
I hang mine until they get hard, then I trash them.
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
Picked this up at Lowes yesterday for $16.  Does not have the convenience of a foot operated lid, but sure seals tight.

[Image: 085995001089.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I bought one of their buckets for keeping work cool over by the grinder -- Damn thing leaked.

I notice on this one, it says "dry food or seed"!

Speaking of fire hazards... don't store the steel wool by the grinder.
Thanks given by:
(04-15-2017, 08:05 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote: I bought one of their buckets for keeping work cool over by the grinder -- Damn thing leaked.

I use a poly coffee can.  Does not rust, has a lid and is a good size for small & medium grinders

I notice on this one, it says "dry food or seed"!

Silicone caulking?

Speaking of fire hazards... don't store the steel wool by the grinder.

Or over by the Oxy/fuel set-up.
Thanks given by: