Shaper table extension
I've been exploring the limits of X and Y travel on my mill, surfacing a big chunk of 32mm scrapyardium plate that will (eventually) become an extended table for my shaper to enable mounting a dividing head in front of the ram. Decided to do this job while I had the vertical attachment mounted on the mill as the next stage of the toolholders I'm making will be done with the mill in horizontal mode.
The machined surface is 30" x 8 1/4". I want the full 9" width of this chunk of plate to pick up all four T-slots on the shaper; unfortunately I just couldn't get it far enough under the main casting of the vertical attachment to pick up the outside edge with my 62mm face mill. The limiting point can be seen in the third photo.

Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
This little side project looks like being binned for the time being- I don't know what material this piece of plate is but it is too hard to do anything with! I was a but suspicious when it came out of the mill looking like a mirror after cleaning up the surface with a carbide insert face mill. I cut the ends off with the oxy-acetylene and mounted it on the shaper table to clean up the cuts. Taking light cuts it felt like I was going to break the shaper. I decided to experiment with the offcut in the drill press and I can't drill the damn stuff! Should have tried that sooner. As it needs a multitude of drilled and tapped holes, it's not going to happen. Thought I had a good bargain with that great chunk of plate for $10 but it looks like being a permanent trip-hazard now.

Thanks given by:
Been there done that Pete. The hazards of working with mystery metal. If its any comfort I've got a lot further on with a part when I found out it couldn't be drilled with conventional bits let alone be tapped.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: Pete O
Thanks Greg, glad to know I'm in good company.

Thanks given by:
I'd imagine it's been heat treated. Probably too late now but would it be possible to anneal it in a bonfire then try again, but you may not have enough material left to clean up after any warping.
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
Not a bad thought, I have a big bonfire pile to burn soonish, might be worth chucking this piece and the remainder of the plate on top and see if it's useable afterwards. The piece I was using here is a bit less than half of the chunk I acquired. Would be good if it was at least useful for something.

Thanks given by:
Might help, I've run into wear plate, don't think annealing helps as it work hardens. If you can get the hole drilled the sides are hardened in the process and then can't be tapped.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I know the feeling. I bought some bar stock like that. Even carbide wouldn't touch it.

Regarding what to do with it, find your local blacksmith and sell/give it to them. They are always on the lookout for such materials for making tools & dies. Might even make a hell of a knife.

a
Thanks given by:
(04-28-2017, 08:38 AM)Pete O Wrote: Not a bad thought, I have a big bonfire pile to burn soonish, might be worth chucking this piece and the remainder of the plate on top and see if it's useable afterwards. The piece I was using here is a bit less than half of the chunk I acquired. Would be good if it was at least useful for something.

Get a nice big pile of coals and bury it as close to the middle as possible then let it cool down on its own.

Since you're already going to have the bonfire might as well try it.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cut a test piece after the annealing to see if its machinable.  If so find someone with a big tub (Blanchard) grinder to finish the top & bottom at a reasonable price.. A reasonable price should be much less than buying a new piece of material.
Thanks given by:
That actually worked on a piece of chilled cast iron I had a few years ago. I was a little surprised at the time, since I wasn't sure cast would respond to it, but naturally glad that treatment worked so well.

Whatever that mystery metal is, if it is treatable that way, the main thing is to let it cool slowly -- I buried mine in a bucket of woodstove ashes after it was red hot.
Thanks given by: