Help Possible Lathe Threads
(09-15-2017, 04:32 PM)Norton Dommi Wrote: Hello EdK,
              I have just sent you an E-mail but have now found the program I talked about online so here is the link.
http://lathegears.software.informer.com/

This program is the best thing since sliced bread and I am sure you will like it.

Barry,

I clicked on the link you posted but it's asking for my email address. That's not going to happen. I sent you an email so if you could respond with the program attached, I'd love to try out the program.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hello Ed,
I sent it to you direct so I hope you get it going without problem. I got the original years ago and the author sent me the latest version so I have never tried to download from web. I know where you are coming from about E-mail address, I am the same, very particular as to whom has them.
Does anyone know if it is possible to upload to this site?
Thanks given by:
(09-15-2017, 06:37 PM)Norton Dommi Wrote: Does anyone know if it is possible to upload to this site?

Yes it is. Just attach it to your post.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Yes, please attach the program here. I have been trying to find it and all links are now broken. I would love to try it.
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
(09-15-2017, 06:37 PM)Norton Dommi Wrote: I sent it to you direct so I hope you get it

Barry,

I got the two .ini files but the executable program file was blocked by my email software. Due to security reasons, it doesn't allow .exe files to be attached to emails.
Just attach the files to a post on this forum. Here's a link on how to attach files.

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=1006

Ed
Thanks given by:
I used a throw-away email to get the link to the download.
This is all I got in return. Another link to confirm you really want the original link, and request another link when it's "available".
What a load of....
Rolleyes

Quote:Hi!
Thank you for using Software Informer.

The download link for the requested software cannot be found. We will update our database soon and let you know when LatheGears is available for download.
Please confirm your request to get the download link as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Software Informer Team
Willie
Thanks given by:
(04-29-2017, 02:19 PM)dallen Wrote: I think this is what Ed's looking for or something close to it.

dallan, thank you for the spread sheet, will check it out shortly.

john aka castellated nut
Thanks given by:
(04-29-2017, 05:02 PM)EdK Wrote:
(04-29-2017, 04:31 PM)Vinny Wrote: Here's the formula for the tpi of your gears.    

From your pic, I'm going to number (letter) your gears.  

A: 32
B: 64
C: 42
D: 91
E: 86
F: 21
X: 0.94545
Y: LS TPI (8 in your case)

(B/A) * (D/C) * (F/E) * Y * X = TPI.

A word about X.  X is the Kludge factor since the 32 tooth gear isn't spinning at the same speed as the spindle.  X is actually 32/S with S being the number of teeth on the spindle's gear.

I haven't looked at the XLS that Dallen posted, but one thing you need to take into consideration is the distance between the lead screw gear and the 32 tooth stud gear - it could be that they don't mesh or they don't fit.

I'm pretty sure I have my math right, you'll wanna double check it.

Vinny,

The 86 tooth gear is used for metric threads only and the 91 tooth is for imperial threads only. As drawn in the image, just the 91 tooth gear is engaged with other gears. It's kind of hard to see that in the image since the gears are so close in diameter. The 86 tooth gear is just along for the ride since the two form a compound gear.

Also, doesn't the gearing in the gear box have to be included in the formula somehow? The 21 tooth gear would be driving the gears in the gear box which in turn drive the lead screw.

Ed

Simple way to remember the calculation, product of driven gears divided by product of driving gears then multiply by the leadscrew tpi - if Ed's lathe has the 32 on the spindle, then the gearbox has to be 1:1 as described and set for 8 tpi/

(64 x 21 x 91) / (32 x 42 x 91) x 8 tpi - 8 tpi

For metric, it's the opposite, drivers over driven times leadscrew pitch in mm gives you thread pitch in mm

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by: EdK