Carbide Inserts
While cleaning off the last of the shelves I set aside a bag of carbide inserts to check out next time I took a break. I got these inserts with my mini-lathe. The guy I got it from threw in all sorts of tooling. Back to the inserts. There are two different types, SNMA-433 and SPG-433. Some Morse, some Interstate and some HTC. The only difference I see (haven't done too much comparing) is the SNMA has a hole in the center whereas the SPG is solid. Does anyone know what kind of tool do these go into?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
sounds like square milling inserts
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Milling wouldn't surprise me, they're 0.185" thick. Now to determine what tool holder and if it'd be worth it to buy the tool or off the inserts. I have about 30 in total (more without the hole than with).
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
SNMA-433

S = square
N = negative rake
M = dimensional tolerance of the insert
A = center hole for a clamp fastener
4 = 1/2" inscribed circle insert
3 = 3/16" thick
3 = 3/64" edge radius

SPG-433

S = square
P = 11 degree positive rake
G = dimensional tolerance of the insert
4 = 1/2" inscribed circle insert
3 = 3/16" thick
3 = 3/64" edge radius

Those inserts require a tool holder with a 3/4" shank. You'll need a tool holder for the SNMA of this type.

https://www.toolhit.com/collections/turn...srnr-12-4b

Hope this helps some.

Ed
Thanks given by: rleete
Yes it does. Also Shars shows 3 for the mill with an R8 shank. The 3 are different sizes and number of flutes - 3, 4 and 5. So I guess if I'm going to keep these things I've got some tooling to buy. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions...
Thanks given by:
Can you post a pic of the milling cutters. I suspect they will be the type that will hammer your spindle bearings to death. If that is the case it will be better to offload the inserts.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Not much to look at. Here's a pic from one on ebay. The only difference is mine are gray.

[Image: spg433.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I have a China made face mill that uses gray ones ,looks almost identical to the ones you posted pics of.
Thanks given by:
I have a face mill that uses them too. Not as smooth as a Walter but more cost effective to operate.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: