school me on sandblasters
Been thinking of getting one ,just something small to clean up parts before i work on them. my own stuff not customer.  i dont know anything about them ,what to get or not get , cabinet , media,or brand. i do have a tractor supply close that has them but im new to sandblasters , would probably need something able to do something as big as maby a gearbox or a intake manifold for instance  any help appreciated .
Thanks given by:
I'd avoid all the small Chinese sand blasters like the one at TSC.  No better than HF.

Search Craig's List and use Search Tempest.  I found a good sized used commercial sand blaster for sale in Cincinnati for $1K, new $4500.

Its probably bigger than what you're looking for.  Another approach is to build one.  They are fairly simple and there are lots of plans available on line.  Many use a 55 gallon drum which to me is about as small as You'd want to go.  Look for a drum that's held a food product rather than a petroleum product.  Around here I can find 55 gal barrels than contained mango puree and are already cleaned out.  $25 if I remember correctly and a guy in Evansville IN had them and others listed on CL.

The next question is how big is your compressor?  Sand blasters consume air like nobody's business, virtually an open hose draining the tank.

Where are you in KY??????????????????
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2017, 10:17 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Where are you in KY??????????????????

Don't tell him - he'll stalk you and steal your underwear from your washing line! Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
As mentioned they do need a good compressor. Have a HF cabinet, and use as you describe. I also bought a reclaim dust collector that evacuates the cloud or dust storm. The makes it hard to see what you're blasting.

Point being, think about the cost of the equipment, verses the expense of taking parts to someone.

If you already have decent size compressor then you are looking at the following:

https://www.harborfreight.com/Abrasive-B...68893.html

want to go all out great accessory;
https://www.harborfreight.com/Blast-Cabi...60739.html

Forget the bench top....... total waste of $$$$$

Greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
(05-09-2017, 06:25 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(05-08-2017, 10:17 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Where are you in KY??????????????????

Don't tell him - he'll stalk you and steal your underwear from your washing line! Big Grin

Only if he wants to make a sail.   Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Thanks every body, i have decided to build one you know how it is, maby when i get caught up a little. seems pretty easy and i already have just about everything i need but gloves. there is alot of plans floating around out there after i got to looking. im in Wayne co. Dr.Stan. LOL you probly dont want my holy underware anyways.
Thanks given by:
I've done some sandblasting, and IMHO, you want a pressure-pot style sand blasting unit. Horrible Fright sells one, and it works well as long as you run ***fine, dry*** sand through a sieve first.

In my limited experience, you can't even use "play sand" -- you need to pay extra and get "fine white sand".

Even then, if you live in a humid or rainy area, that sand needs to be dried before it will work correctly.

Not owning a booth (I was sandblasting motorcycle frames) I'd put the biggest plastic tarp I owned out in the yard and collect the leavings to recycle them. Word of advice: don't leave the plastic out on the lawn for more than a couple hours or you will get a giant dead spot in your lawn. Ask me how I know.

If you're using a booth, and want to use soda, you can buy it in large tubs at a Business Costco (the BizCostco caters to businesses, including restaurants & bakeries)
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2017, 09:24 AM)Pumpjack Wrote: im in Wayne co. Dr.Stan. LOL you probly dont want my holy underware anyways.

Good to know.  If you're ever in a pinch PM me.
Thanks given by: