A "Transmission" for the Rockwell Mill
Norm (a friend and fellow Chinese Buffet fan) came over yesterday, and helped out with the preliminary motor bracket, we mounted motor and ran it off an extension coed for a little while.

This morning, I rounded up all of the parts to wire the mill, the Square D on-off switch, forward-reversing switch, the plug and some SO cable. Wired up the mill, to operate on 230 vac, single phase. Wonder will never cease, I had a 50/50 shot on getting the rotation right, on the direction switch and damn, I got it first time. Usually when wiring a motor, you get that 50/50 chance and I'm usually wrong about 80% of the time. I ran the mill under no load for 1-2 hours at various speeds, motor got to about 110 degrees, mill head assembly remained at about 85 Degrees.

The UPS truck arrived at the end of the driveway (strange for a Saturday, at least here) and I got 3 boxes. My order from Grizzly came, new table handwheels and folding safety handles. Grizzly did screw up the order, the packing slip showed a dozen 7/16" t-nuts, but none were in the box. At least they are consistent, they have screwed up my last 5 orders, is someway or another. They have made them right, just takes time.

My HSS end mill order hit, all was correct.

My new Shars 4" vise arrived, I bought from a guy in Rochester area, he bought it brand new, opened the box, said looks good and then 3-4 days later got a hell of a deal on a much bigger mill, then retooled for that, this has set for about 6-8 months in his garage, so I snapped it up for $75, which included shipping. I set the vise on the table, will probably remove the swivel base, but vise look very nice.

So this afternoon, I started to change the handles on the mill, I did the knee and the Y- axis handle, and started to work on the table end handles, ran out of daylight. Placed my nut bolt order for the shop and ordered the 4" x 4" x 3/8" box tubing, to start my riser/base. The tubing and the adjusting feet should get the mill about 6" higher than it is now.
jack
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: A "Transmission" for the Rockwell Mill - by the penguin - 05-13-2017, 08:46 PM