removing a tailstock taper
Green Horn here, that why I painted the lathe that colour!
How would I remove a Morse Taper from my tailstock?
It has no thriugh hole to knock it out, it has no side slots to use a wedge in, it's not sophisticated enough to have the feature of back winding the quill to edject it.
The only thing I can think of is if the taper had a shoulder on it I could use a set of wedges as used for drill chuck removal.
Thanks given by:
Looking at the pictures you posted, it looks very similar to the tailstock on my old lathe (albeit much smaller), which has a through hole.  Is it possible that it has one that is simply full of crap that you didn't notice?  I recall pushing compressed chips out of the apron that actually looked like solid plugs!

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(05-19-2017, 07:48 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Looking at the pictures you posted, it looks very similar to the tailstock on my old lathe (albeit much smaller), which has a through hole.  Is it possible that it has one that is simply full of crap that you didn't notice?  I recall pushing compressed chips out of the apron that actually looked like solid plugs!

Just had a closer look and it dosn't have a through hole just a small hole far end, 1/4" deep looks like it's made by a centre drill

.jpg   18527528_1435768349818697_2688359021501639989_n.jpg (Size: 21.04 KB / Downloads: 89)
Thanks given by:
Am I correct in that you are trying to remove the Morse taper barrel from the tailstock ?
If so, have a look to see if there is a removable setscrew on the tailstock which engages the slot under the Morse taper barrel to prevent its rotation. The slot may not be machined the full length of the barrel, and the setscrew is preventing its removal.
Mike
Thanks given by:
(05-19-2017, 10:07 AM)Mike E. Wrote: Am I correct in that you are trying to remove the Morse taper barrel from the tailstock ?
If so, have a look to see if there is a removable setscrew on the tailstock which engages the slot under the Morse taper barrel to prevent its rotation. The slot may not be machined the full length of the barrel, and the setscrew is preventing its removal.

No Mike, just enquiring how I would go about removing a taper in the tailstock barrel / quill.
The machine is new to me, I don't have any tapers to fit in it yet. It's a MT2.
If I need to go down the route of either boring a through hole or milling slots what would be the best option ?
I would guess boring the hole is easiest for me as I don't have a mill, but what would be the best method?
Thanks given by:
Extend the barrel to its maximum.  There should be a slot in the side when you could use a drill drift if a drill, sleeve, etc is stuck in the barrel.

However the usual way to remove an item from the tailstock is to crank it all the way in until it pops out.
Thanks given by:
(05-19-2017, 11:42 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: Extend the barrel to its maximum.  There should be a slot in the side when you could use a drill drift if a drill, sleeve, etc is stuck in the barrel.

However the usual way to remove an item from the tailstock is to crank it all the way in until it pops out.

Sadly it has none of those features hence my problem
Thanks given by:
The end of the screw on the tailstock should hit the end of the morse taper and eject the centre or drill chuck when fully retracted.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(05-19-2017, 01:24 PM)f350ca Wrote: The end of the screw on the tailstock should hit the end of the morse taper and eject the centre or drill chuck when fully retracted.

Nope, my talistock dosn't have this feature
Thanks given by:
Then the MT2 you're putting in there may be too short. Try putting something in there, like a nut, while it's fully retracted and see if an MT2 will go in and seat. If it doesn't, crank in out a little and see if it seats. If it does, crank it back in and it should release it and you'll know that your MT2 is too short. If you have something currently stuck in there, remove the quill and put a punch or rod in the hole and tap it out with a hammer. Heating the quill may be necessary - it was the only way to get a chuck out of my Logan when I first got it.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: