Building a Lathe Bench
After having my equipment in storage for a year, I finally have the room in my shop to set them up.
I need to build a bench that I can mount my lathe on. 
I want to build it so the lathe is comfortable to be working with. Not to high & not to low. 
Is there a general rule of thumb on the height a lathe should be? I know this would be different for guys taller and shorter then me. 
The guy I bought it from had it on a bench that had the top of the chuck basically at my chin. I don't know how he worked on it at that height.
Trevor
Thanks given by:
You should be able to look down upon the lathe and have a clear view of the cross slide tool post and chuck, if you have to raise up on tip toes to get a better view on the overhead view its too high, the dials should be about waist level about the hieght of your navel.

If you plan to put shelves up make sure there low enough to just place items upon it you dont want to reach over the lathe, this also means the back of the lathe needs to be as close to the wall as possible, most place common used items on the shelf for quick access think of ways to eliminate accidents by dropping them on the lathe.

make provisions for a swarf tray under it, make it easy to be removed and put back. if your bench is wood make metal base plates 3/16 thick or so and place them under the feet of the lathe to spread the weight, bolt the feet  through the plates and through the bench, this arrangement makes it easier to place shims under the feet when you level it.

Make sure you have plenty of quality lighting florescent lighting is good get the natural light bulbs. design and build shelves under the bench and store everything associated with the lathe, certain places for certain items, I remember in my apprenticeship days there was a big blue and white porcelain sign it read " There is a place for everything and everything has its place" 

Enjoy building your shop and have fun...  Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs009
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the information leezitin.
My bench is going to be made from steel. I have 3/8"x3" disks cut for the feet that will be fully adjustable.
I also have a tool chest with pullout drawers that's going to be built into the bench to store everything associated with the lathe and mill.
At this time the lathe won't be against a wall. So I don't have to worry about a shelf above the lathe. If it does get placed against the wall I don't know if I will put a shelf up just so nothing can fall onto the lathe.
As for the swarf tray. My lathe has a tray that came with it. But the lathe sits on top of the tray and bolts threw it. I could possible build a tray the slides in between the original tray and the lathe bed.
Thanks again
Trevor
Thanks given by: