Help What's mt taper?
link to a thread in another forum with some info .

http://chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?t=48749
texx, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since May 2014.
Thanks given by: Andy T
Do you need to use the taper? My Summit has a #6 MT, came with a sleeve to #5 but I've never used it. When I want to turn between centres I chuck a piece of scrap and cut a 60 deg point on it. Zero runout then.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: Andy T
(06-06-2017, 06:06 PM)f350ca Wrote: Do you need to use the taper? My Summit has a #6 MT, came with a sleeve to #5 but I've never used it. When I want  between centres I chuck a piece of scrap and cut a 60 deg point on it. Zero runout then.

At this time I don't need to use the taper but the between centers distance is only around 12" so at some time an "every little helps" situation may arrise and I'd rather figure a solution now than leave it to a possible last minute suituation.
While searching Google for an answer I came across this pdf that has a vast amount of info but sadly none for me, http://cnqzu.com/library/Anarchy%20Folde...63_yg8.pdf
Thanks given by:
What is the tailstock taper?

My old lathe had a 3" through hole with some form of taper that (like Greg's lathe) would have had an adaptor to make it useful. Like Greg, I've always just turned a piece of scrap to a taper when turning between centres.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
My lathe must have an odd taper too. The manual lists the headstock taper as #6, but has a 3 inch through hole. According to the chart you posted the inside of the bushing must be #6.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2017, 07:23 AM)Mayhem Wrote: What is the tailstock taper?

My old lathe had a 3" through hole with some form of taper that (like Greg's lathe) would have had an adaptor to make it useful.  Like Greg, I've always just turned a piece of scrap to a taper when turning between centres.

It's a MT2, and I've now bored it through to 10mm so I can knock the tapers out.
I had to bore the minor dia a little deeper to 14mm to allow tapers with tangs, all's fine with the tailstock now Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Ah - yes! I remember now. At least one end is sorted!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: