Mill draw-bar
Nicely done Andy! Smiley-eatdrink004

What kind of material did you use for that?
Willie
Thanks given by:
Hi
I`m not really sure what steel it was Blush
It did have a bit of blue paint on the end of the stock that I cut from though.
I took what the college had going for free is the real answer though Angel
Dont worry, the actually approve of me taken some metal to work on at home Sweat
One thing I did have to do though is file and emery it to shape down the long turning due to ever so accurate work on the lathe 17428 A few thou clearance is needed to slide down the quill(sp) So my lovely turned finish ended up a rather satin finish Rotfl
Just waiting on some grub screws to finish the jig off and find the time...
Off to watch some golf at Wentworth today so bye for now Big Grin
Andy Popcorn

b4dyc, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012. Oh yeah
Thanks given by:
(05-23-2012, 02:22 AM)b4dyc Wrote: One thing I did have to do though is file and emery it to shape down the long turning due to ever so accurate work on the lathe 17428

"Free" stock is always the best material to use. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Do you have a follower rest for your lathe Andy?

Hope you enjoy the golf today. I'm off to the archery range myself. Not my thing, but the Mrs. enjoys it. 17428 And I promised I would take her today, so......
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie, was the draw string taught when you "promised" to take her?
Maybe that was too "pointed" a question.Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
a job well dun
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(05-23-2012, 06:51 AM)Highpower Wrote: Do you have a follower rest for your lathe Andy?

I do although I have never used it 17428 Do you think i should have for this ? In fact I have never used a steady at all Jawdrop ,ever!

(05-23-2012, 06:51 AM)Highpower Wrote: Hope you enjoy the golf today.

It was hot and fairly busy for a Pro-Am. But was good to go :)
Hope you enjoyed your day out with the pointy things Rotfl

Thanks krv3000 Smile
Andy Popcorn

b4dyc, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012. Oh yeah
Thanks given by:
(05-24-2012, 07:55 AM)b4dyc Wrote:
(05-23-2012, 06:51 AM)Highpower Wrote: Do you have a follower rest for your lathe Andy?

I do although I have never used it 17428 Do you think i should have for this ?

Yes indeed. Those long pieces of stock will push themselves away from your tool bit and result in the uneven diameters that you experienced. That is what steadies are for - to help prevent that from happening.

And yes, we had beautiful weather and had a great time getting away from the normal day-to-day drudgery. It's been a long time since we have gotten to do that. Although once again, SWMBO reminded me of why I should never - ever - make her mad at me. She never misses her target! Yikes

Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by: