New (to me) grinder
I'm still planning on getting a belt or disc grinder but in the mean time I came across this auction for an older Cincinnati Grinder.

Here is the description:

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A CINCINNATI 2 WHEEL GRINDER, TYPE VPAY, MODEL #109, 1/2 HP, 3450 RPM, 220 VOLTS 3 PHASE, GRINDER IS 23 1/4" WIDE X 48" TALL X 18" DEEP, GRINDER WAS WORKING WHEN REMOVED FROM SCHOOL, GRINDER MAY HAVE SCRATCHES, STAINS, RUST, DENTS OR MISSING PIECES OR PARTS, VIEW PICTURES CLOSELY.

[Image: CinnGrinder01.jpg]

[Image: CinnGrinder05.jpg]

[Image: CinnGrinder06.jpg]

Apparently one of the local schools is clearing out old equipment.  I ended up taking this with a final bid of $47.00 and I'll be picking it up in the morning.

I think I got a pretty good deal for once. Blush 

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Looks good. I have one similar but I didn't get the pedestal and the light is a florescent. If you don't have 3 phase, a forty some dollar static phase convertor on ebay will do the job. Here's the ebay auction for the convertor for that grinder: 191249381911 That vendor (TEMco) is the manufacturer of it. It's twice the cost anywhere else.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Nice find. Some clean-up along with new wiring and it should last for years. I'd be especially worried about the lamp wiring that has been painted.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the link to the converter but I've got that covered as I ran 3phase out to my shop a couple of years ago. On quick inspection the wires don't look/feel too bad but they'll get a good going over before I plug anything in.

I may have to re-arrange my little shop though. The guy running the auction pickup area showed me what they are putting up for auction next week, a Pratt & Whitney lathe, Hendey lathe, Standard Modern lathe, radial drill press, horizontal mill and a couple of surface grinders all in supposedly good working condition. I need a bigger shop.

-Ron
Thanks given by:
That's a great deal! I bought something similar for $125 off the local CL.
Thanks given by:
Is your shop in a commercial location? If not, how did you get 3 phase out there?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(06-23-2017, 05:08 AM)Vinny Wrote: Is your shop in a commercial location?   If not, how did you get 3 phase out there?

If I remember correctly just about any NE ranch or farm can also obtain 3 phase.  We also had it at the University of Nebraska at Kearney.  (UNK)
Thanks given by:
(06-22-2017, 09:16 PM)ScrapMetal Wrote: Thanks for the link to the converter but I've got that covered as I ran 3phase out to my shop a couple of years ago.  On quick inspection the wires don't look/feel too bad but they'll get a good going over before I plug anything in.

I may have to re-arrange my little shop though.  The guy running the auction pickup area showed me what they are putting up for auction next week, a Pratt & Whitney lathe, Hendey lathe, Standard Modern lathe, radial drill press, horizontal mill and a couple of surface grinders all in supposedly good working condition.  I need a bigger shop.

-Ron

Where are you?  Close to Kearney?????????????????????????
Thanks given by:
I guess the "3-phase" thing does beg for a bit of explanation.   I own and manage a four story office building with a set of detached garages in the parking lot.  At one point I had one of the garage spaces rented out to a telecommunications company who needed climate control and single phase 240v for their equipment.  The company leasing the space evaporated with changes to cell phone technology so I was left with an empty semi-insulated garage space with a furnace/air conditioner unit installed.  Since the office has many 3-phase pumps for it's HVAC system and elevator all the power (120v, 240v, & 240 3-phase - actually 208v in this case) is derived from the initial three phase feed.

The power that was run out to the garages consisted of two legs of the three phase system.  When I decided to turn that space in to a shop I felt it would be in my best interest to pull out the other leg so I would have 3-phase.  Here was my setup for the "pull" and before I replaced the breaker box:

[Image: wirepull.JPG]

The solo wire pull was not fun BTW but it paid for itself in spades for the long run.

FWIW Blush  Oh, and I am in the Omaha area not Kearney.

-Ron
Thanks given by:
Nice.

True 3 phase would certainly make life easier for us shop types. Happyyes

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: