Planer conversion
Assuming I go through with my planer conversion I'll be needing a 9ft long linear scale for a DRO.

Any suggestions as to a supplier?

I believe they should be available as the scales are cut to length after manufacturing.
Thanks given by:
Make your own. A high res rotary encoder, an arduino and a display. I'll leave the mechanical fitting up to you.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(07-29-2017, 09:44 AM)Vinny Wrote: Make your own.  A high res rotary encoder, an arduino and a display.  I'll leave the mechanical fitting up to you.

I'd completely forgotten about them as its been a long time since I used a machine fitted out that way.  Just need to pay attention to the backlash.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
I have a Shooting Star DRO on the mill. Bought it before all the Chinese ones were out there. It uses a rack and rotary encoder. Has never missed a beat in 14 or 15 years.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
My Bridgeport has DRO's that are a fine stainless steel cord wrapped around a drum connected to an encoder disc. The wire is tensioned by a spring, and wiped by a rubber wiper as it enters the drum enclosure. Been working faultlessly for 15 years now. These are the things:

http://bwelectronics.co.uk/modular-dros/...-displays/

No real theoretic limit to the length
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
I'm referring back to the days of NC machines which used Acme feed screws.   One old Lucas boring mill I ran used pins as the scale.  If you did not pay attention to which direction you moved you'd have at least .010" of backlash.  Learned that the hard way.
Thanks given by: