Thoughts About Small Lathe Tool Holders, Part 1
Some food for thought Randy. I've never had a rocker tool post for a lathe but have used the Armstrong tool holders on my Logan shaper. The built in angle saved grinding top rake in the tool, though not always necessary on the shaper. I haven't found any Armstrong tool holders for the larger shaper I have now, forget what number Im even looking for.
A while back I was thinking about making a tool holder for my home made quick change tool post that presents the cutter at an angle as did the Armstrong holder. Would simply be a matter of cutting the tool slot at an angle.
[Image: X2zmDmoQxBRERSZlpP2iJ0n86_iB53BYTyV8h3YP...2-h1276-no]

Making a tool post for the Summit to hold boring bars has been on the list for some time. I've made 2 inch dia boring bars for it BUT lost rigidity by cutting a flat in the end to grab with a tool holder for the quick change tool post. It was stiffer than my 1 inch indexible bar though. I used it here to bore the cylinders on a Wisconsin engine but built it originally to bore out bearing blocks on the tracks of an excavator after I built them up with weld.
[Image: 9yF825Dhlcds9PtydLzgn1X4C9MoCVj-injn0v5J...2-h1276-no]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Part 2 - by randyc - 08-19-2017, 04:36 PM
RE: Thoughts About Small Lathe Tool Holders, Part 1 - by f350ca - 08-19-2017, 08:51 PM