Thoughts About Small Lathe Tool Holders, Part 1
I've been called a lot of things but never that Randy, Thanks lol     I certainly wouldn't call your work hack.
No special finish, the body was a cut off from a shaft, didn't know where it came from, but it was really hard. Harder than heat treated 4140, no sign of wear after years of use. The form was what was left after I cut the dovetails. Don't know what I was thinking or not thinking, I didn't make the dovetails to match commercial ones. So My tool holders are proprietary. In defence I'd never used a QCTP before this one.
The height gauge works on the saddle or the top of the compound.
The boring bar was put together quick while I was having problems machining the welds I'd done to build up bearing blocks. Someone let the shafts on the idler and drive end of an excavator track wear through the bronze bushings and into the casting. This was quick and helped a lot. Making a proper mount is on the ever growing list.
The lathe is an HLV, drop the H. Picked it up on a government auction. Needed some work but had very little wear. Its a year younger than me. Here's as link to the repairs. 

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthrea...t=hardinge
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Part 2 - by randyc - 08-19-2017, 04:36 PM
RE: Thoughts About Small Lathe Tool Holders, Part 1 - by f350ca - 08-20-2017, 08:49 AM