unloved micrometer
i purchased this second hand but i expect it happens to folks that take care of their tools even.

it took me too long of a time to think about holding the barrel this way to break it loose after i broke the adjustment tool trying to. i used copper pipe to sleeve it as it was odd size plus i didnt want to mark the tool.

i guess a drill/lathe chuck would be some other options.

[Image: DSCN0761.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0766.jpg]
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
MIke,

Absolute shame, but a good job in getting it off.
A bit of TLC will be good as new
Smiley-eatdrink004
Dave
Thanks given by:
Looks like it's salvageable. It would be a shame to have to toss out a nice B&S micrometer because of a past owner's abuse.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Now I don't want to be negative, but I've been down this track, with My late Dad's Favorite 0-1" mitutoyo Mics, I estimate they wer[php]e made around 1970.

These were so important to me as he carried them everywhere, but he was never too careful with his tools and they had been wet, I used a similar tool to disassemble cleaned them carefully, spent many hours, but after everything I tried they just didn't feel right.

I ended up scouring Ebay and bought a brand new identical set still in box, which was by far the best thing I could have done, they look the same as his did and so I get the same emotional high out of using them, but I don't get angry at how he ruined them just months before he passed, effectively taking my keepsake, I know I'm a bit twisted but hey it's a huge loss, it's gonna do damage when your Dad passes.

The best results came after cleaning them with WD 40, and then stripping that out with acetone, i used a small amount of 25% phosphoric acid, to eat and kill the rust, then reassembled with a very weak solution of brasso and light oil to polish the thread back up, washed in Acetone again then oiled up. It worked to some extent, but they were never the same as I remembered them, they were the first set of Mics I ever used aged 9 or 10 so I knew them very well.

I tried to work out how to post pictures but I'm not there yet,
Best regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 04:17 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: wer[php]e passes.

The best results came after cleaning them with WD 40, and then stripping that out with acetone.
Rick

Rick first question is, what does xxx[php]x mean?
Second one is not so much a question but more a congratulation for stripping out the WD 40(turn head and spit) out with acetone.
I hate that stuff! Whatever were WD 1 - 39 good/bad for anyway?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
WD is not bad for machining aluminium
It is great for killing flys and wasps
It is a very poor lubricant
John
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 05:02 PM)doubleboost Wrote: WD is not bad for machining aluminium
John

I think it is very good for machining aluminium whether it is any good on aluminum I'm not sure. Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 04:58 PM)stevec Wrote: I hate that stuff! Whatever were WD 1 - 39 good/bad for anyway?

Smiley-signs064

I can't stand WD-40. The smell alone makes me sick. Yikes

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 05:15 PM)EdAK Wrote: I can't stand WD-40. The smell alone makes me sick. Yikes
Ed
Ed, you are not supposed to be "sniffing" it Smiley-dancenana
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 05:28 PM)DaveH Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 05:15 PM)EdAK Wrote: I can't stand WD-40. The smell alone makes me sick. Yikes
Ed
Ed, you are not supposed to be "sniffing" it Smiley-dancenana
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave,

I don't need to sniff it to know it's in the vicinity. I can smell it through osmosis. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by: