unloved micrometer
Ok time for a funny WD40 story,Big Grin

my wife is always trying to gain knowledge off the internet, so when her windshield wipers kept squeaking
do to a 13 year old pitted windshield she started looking for something she could just spray on and stop the noise with.Slaphead

she stumbled on to the origin of WD40, this article stated that it was originally supposed to displace water as well as provide lubrication.

So even after I told here absolutely no don't even try, when I wasn't looking she sprayed some on here wipers while at the store and yes it started to rain on the way home. So for the next 30 minutes she drove home trying to see through the oily mess on her windshield.RotflRotflRotfl
(I told you so was not required) HappynoHappyno

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
These few and seldom victories over our wives are to be cherished and shared with our buds!
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
WD40 makes a snow mobile hood look brand new, snow sheds off, and winter has no dust to stick.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 06:09 PM)stevec Wrote: These few and seldom victories over our wives are to be cherished and shared with our buds!

As long as it's done very quietly and she does not hear you doing it. Big Grin

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 04:58 PM)stevec Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 04:17 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: wer[php]e passes.

The best results came after cleaning them with WD 40, and then stripping that out with acetone.
Rick

Rick first question is, what does xxx[php]x mean?
Second one is not so much a question but more a congratulation for stripping out the WD 40(turn head and spit) out with acetone.
I hate that stuff! Whatever were WD 1 - 39 good/bad for anyway?

The [php] thing wasn't there when I typed it, must be some sort of glitch, I used spell check so that would have caught it if it were there.

I don't mind WD40 as long as it is used within it's capabilities it's OK, problem is that it's capabilities are limited, but as a cutting fluid for Ally it's very effective, it works as a "starter spray" on small stationary engines, just don't expect it to stay put or lubricate in any critical areas, that is what oil and grease are for. I most often use WD40 for cleaning especially washing out rust dust and fine emery swarf, it's more about the solvent breaking down old lubricant and that strong stream from the long squirty tube nozzle.
In this case I washed it out with Acetone to make sure that the Phosphoric acid wasn't inhibited by any of the water repellent characteristics of the WD40, I was just being thorough i supposeAngel
Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 06:03 PM)ETC57 Wrote: (I told you so was not required) HappynoHappyno

Umm, How do I say this Jerry?

Oh yes it was, it just soooo was, along with a number of these;

"Remember what happened with the WD40"

I suppose you'll have to follow up with "yes dear please take half of the house!" Chin

Maybe you are right Big Grin

Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 10:18 PM)f350ca Wrote: WD40 makes a snow mobile hood look brand new, snow sheds off, and winter has no dust to stick.

Another great use for Aerosol furniture polish too, A brand name that might ring some bells is "Mr Sheen" I haven't seen it since I left Australia, but I think it is originally a US product, when I was 14 to 18 years old I used to buy and sell cheap cars to my schoolmates and local kids just getting their licenses, it was real good for pocket money, Mr Sheen was the best thing ever buy an honest old clunker with flat oxidised paint for $100, Plugs, points, oil and filter change, new seat covers, clean the inside out real good and then Mr Sheen it, which took about 15 minutes, spray it on wipe it off and keep it off the glass and regardless of make or model the car was worth a grand, One word of warning though, paint will never stick to it again Bash oops

Best regards
Rick
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 06:03 PM)ETC57 Wrote: Ok time for a funny WD40 story,Big Grin

my wife is always trying to gain knowledge off the internet, so when her windshield wipers kept squeaking
do to a 13 year old pitted windshield she started looking for something she could just spray on and stop the noise with.Slaphead

i guess the squeak could be caused from many things,(i always took it to be wax and dirt) but when my wipers start doing it i lightly run scotchbrite on the wiper. i actually keep a pad in the auto it works so good.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
hi well me grand sun's pram had a squeak the wife shed i will have to put sum ub40 on it Rotfl Rotfl she wunderd why i was lafing so much i told her ub40 is a pop group and she meant wd40 all i got was that look as to say shut up i use wd40 and other type of penatraitng oil to kleen me lathe dawn as you can get in to all the nooks and things with it then i wash off with a mix of 50x50 paraffin and light mashen oil then give it a good wipe dawn then oil up
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
If you ever need to remove rust from anything (small enough to get into a tank of water) just use the electrolytic method, using baking soda and a battery charger. It turns rust to mush that easily washes off and does no damage to sound metal.
Ken
An old tired/retired/wanna-be machinist. Cool
Thanks given by: