Thread/Feed chart and change gears
I'm not 100% sure what this plastic is, so think I will give it a miss. Probably no point putting the effort into an unknown material that's may fail.

My local metal supplier usually has a bunch of different size flame cut steel circles leftover from where they've cut holes out of plate for custom jobs. If they've got some that are thick enough they'll be a cheap source of steel stock.

Vinny - I hadn't considered a hob as I thought they needed the gear blank to be rotated at a specific speed to match the hob. If that's right it would be out of my capabilities and tooling at present.
Also, it looks like I can get the 3 involute cutters I'd need to do all the missing gears for AUD$30 total, whereas a hob is about 6 times that price. I guess the cost difference narrows significantly if you need to buy the full set of cutters.

I started looking around for ideas on how I could index them without having a dividing head etc.
Came across this simple idea of using a indexing disc made out of cardboard. The guy then made it even easier by using a USB microscope to line up the indexing lines.

Gear Indexing Video

So that gets me around indexing without a proper indexing head.
Should then be a simple case of making up some sort of spindle to mount the gear on, clamping it into a v-block or similar and cutting it.

Steve
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Thread/Feed chart and change gears - by SteveG - 08-23-2017, 07:19 AM
RE: Thread/Feed chart and change gears - by Vinny - 08-24-2017, 08:17 PM
RE: Thread/Feed chart and change gears - by SteveG - 08-26-2017, 04:26 AM
RE: Thread/Feed chart and change gears - by EdK - 08-26-2017, 09:26 AM
RE: Thread/Feed chart and change gears - by Vinny - 08-26-2017, 10:51 AM