No Transfer Punches ?
Transfer punches are only intended to lightly mark the part and you should follow up with a centre punch.

I made some cheap M12x1.75 transfer punches when I made a chuck adaptor. I took three set screws and turned a 60° point on them and then milled two flats either side of the point, so I could screw them into place with some long nose pliers. Screw all three in, turn the chuck over and give it a tap. Three holes perfectly located.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(08-31-2017, 07:46 AM)Mayhem Wrote: ......I took three set screws and turned a 60° point on them and then milled two flats either side of the point, so I could screw them into place with some long nose pliers.  Screw all three in, turn the chuck over and give it a tap.  Three holes perfectly located.

That is a danged ingenious idea !  If I don't remember it next time I need threaded transfer punches, I should hang up my calipers.

How about making them out of grade 8 fasteners ?
Thanks given by:
(08-30-2017, 02:46 PM)Alphonse Wrote: Thanks Randy, good idea.   

I bought a set off Amazon a year or two ago.  Chicrap - not the best to say the least.  Got to be prepared to sharpen them from time to time.

If I need a harder punch your idea is now in my hip pocket.  So thanks again.

I bought a set from HF 10 years ago. They stay hard, never had to grind the tips. I use them mostly to set a pair of spring calipers for turning. I set the calipers to the next largest size that I need ,then mic to exact size.
Inexpensive, I think I paid less than $25.00 for the set.
mike
Thanks given by:
In the middle of a job with no transfer punch???
Find a drill that fits the hole drop it in and tap lightly now turn the drill 90° and tap again and you will have a neat little cross to show your center.
Brian.
Brian, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
http://briansworkshop.weebly.com Welcome
Thanks given by: