Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519
Here's the R8 end of the quill assembly. The spindle is supported by two tapered roller bearings. My quill would not come apart with tapping of a rubber mallet so I had press the spindle out of the top tapered bearing.

The whole quill is supported by two metal plates with a hole between them. You need to catch the spindle because it can pop out suddenly. Once the top bearing has been removed, the bottom bearing can be removed by supporting the bearing on the plates and then pressing the spindle through. Again be careful to lay a pad for the spindle to fall on or keep your hand on it so it doesn't hit the floor.

Here's the spindle removed from the quill.

This photo shows the outer part of the bearing which must be removed and replaced with the new one.

I used a bearing puller to remove the upper and lower bearing outer parts. My bearing puller is an inexpensive Harbor Freight unit. The fingers are not sharp enough to catch a thin lip so I sharpened the on a grinder.

henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519 - by henryarnold - 05-06-2012, 09:31 PM