Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519
(05-07-2012, 01:29 AM)f350ca Wrote: Henry, just being the devils advocate but is there any chance the lub oil will dissolve the oil based paint. Glyptal is formulated to resist it.
Following along with interest.
Greg

Yes there is a chance. It is possible that Glyptal is the only good solution. I Googled this quite a bit and a few things are in my favor. Glyptal is used in engine blocks that get hot. My mill head won't get hot. I found people that successfully used Rustoleum to spray the inside of gearboxes so I know oil based paint can be successful. Last, the Chinese company that built my mill did a half hearted interior paint job which I know wasn't Glyptal and it held up fine. I mentioned Glyptal because that is the proper way to paint a gearbox. I do not suggest following what I did. You are right I may regret trying to save $35.

I'll report back later on how it goes. Hopefully I won't see bits of yellow paint floating past my sight glass. If you want to paint your head interior and be sure it's right, use the Glyptal.
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519 - by henryarnold - 05-07-2012, 10:40 AM