Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519
This is my first work with a shop press. If you think that I'm using the wrong technique, please post your suggestions so that others don't follow my mistake. It is important to consider how you press against bearing because they can be damaged if you do it wrong. Hopefully what I'm showing is correct.

After pressing the lower bearing race in place shown in previous section.

I greased my bearing on the spindle by hand with latex gloves. I thought this would be easier that trying to press a greased bearing into place. I also reinstalled the pin that guides R8 holders. On my mill there is a second one nearer the end that does not poke out. Maybe a spare?

I returned the spindle to the quill and dropped the new upper bearing race onto the spindle. I used the old bearing race as a backer for pressing the new one in place.

I placed the quill assembly upside down in the shop press resting on the old bearing as a backer and then pressed it into place. Gently, the bearing should not be very tight because preload should be adjusted on this bearing.

Upper bearing in place.

Install keeper plate and castellated nut. Tighten and back off about 1/8 turn. Set the keeper tab into the nut slot.

Completed quill assembly. Re-install the bottom threaded cover.

The quill assembly is now complete. Next time I'll begin reassembly of the head. There will be a couple day delay as my paint drys.Smile
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519 - by henryarnold - 05-07-2012, 11:38 AM