Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519
I'm now ready to install my gear shafts. I read a few posts and people have approached this different ways. Some have reinstalled the shafts in the gearbox lid which is the way it tends to come apart on some of these mills. The problem with this way of re-assembly is that it is very difficult to line up the gear selector arms and shoes. I decided to install my shafts into the bottom of the gearbox. I also decided to install the 5 smaller bearings that are on the ends of the shafts first.

It's probably confusing to know which gear shafts I'm referring to so here's a photo with the names I'll be using.

This is the 2nd Intermediate Shaft bearing installation both ends

This is the 1st Intermediate Shaft Bearing installation

I also installed a small bearing on the end of the Motor Shaft. No photo. You'll notice that I haven't been mentioning bearing sizes. That is because they vary from mill to mill. Mine are not the same as Ed's. You need to disassemble your mill to find out what you have.

My plan is to install the motor, 1st, and 2nd shafts into the gearbox and then press the lid onto the top bearings. The lid must have the spindle shaft because there is no support in the bottom half of the gearbox other than the seals. I found that the machining of both the lid and the bottom allows for a somewhat looser fit on the outside diameter of the bearings so that they slide into position with out much pressure.
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519 - by henryarnold - 05-11-2012, 12:03 AM