Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519
In this post I'll install the the Spindle Shaft in the top part of the head.

I already pressed one of the two bearings for the Spindle shaft onto the shaft. I could have used the press to push it into place but found that it went into place with light tapping of a rubber mallet. It rests against the circlip inside the bore. The second bearing is installed from the top.

Here's a photo from the top before installing the second bearing.

I had to modify the tool I made earlier to clear the top of the spindle shaft. The bearing rests below the top of the mill head and shaft. The bore in the tool provides the needed clearance.

Using the tool I pressed in the top bearing. This could have been done with the mallet but its easier to keep things straight using the press.

After I got the Spindle Shaft installed I realized I had a problem. This photo shows that the location for the top bearing of the 2nd Intermediate shaft conflicts with the gear on the spindle shaft. I took the spindle shaft out, moved the 2nd Intermediate shaft top bearing to the the lid and reinstalled the Spindle shaft.

Insert the circlip on the top of the Spindle Shaft.

All of the gear shafts are now installed.
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519 - by henryarnold - 05-11-2012, 12:32 PM