Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2
That's something to think about Mike. I think it would make the project hugely expensive though, particularly as a new overarm would have to have the dovetail ways machined, without having it in front of me at present I estimate the overarm is about 42" long, way beyond my capacity to machine dovetails.
I'm fortunate enough to have a spare overarm from the machine I dismantled for the power feed parts, so I can get away with a bit of experimentation.
I've just been having a look and a scratch of the head and one idea that has come to mind is to mount the head on a pair of heavy plates, like a gigantic hinge, with one half of the hinge mounted to the face of the machine where the U2 vertical attachment is currently mounted, and the other half able to swing out of the way to enable horizontal milling. Given that hinged vertical attachments have been employed by companies such as cincinati, it might be workable. Not being able to slide the head forward on a ram would be a drawback.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 - by Pete O - 09-06-2017, 11:02 PM