Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2
Stripped the head, into the drink with it for a while. The filler and paint is chipped down to the casting around the rim where the power head bolts on, so I plan to strip the whole casting and refinish it.

The spindle bearings are silky smooth. I wrapped the quill and spindle assembly up for safe keeping. If I ever get to the stage of putting this thing back together, can someone remind me that it's in the filing cabinet. Big Grin
I'd already stripped the sections of the power head, had it all soaking in some 'simple green' for about a week with intermittent scrubbing. The gear housing is almost ready for primer

and the belt housing is coming up ok

There are a few bits and pieces that need replacing, the tilt worm that goes between the head and the knuckle has been abused, looks like someone tried to 'undo' the adjusting shaft while the four bolts that hold the head to the knuckle were still tight. The shaft has been twisted off and the gear set damaged. Had a heck of a time getting the broken shaft out but got there in the end. I'm thinking that if i put the worm gear back 180degrees from where it was, the damaged teeth will be in a position that never gets used, so i'll only need the worm and shaft.
Darren sent me a truckload of documentation, manuals, parts diagrams etc that have been extremely helpful.

I've been coming up with all sorts of ideas about how I'm going to mount the head to the ram, think I've hit upon a workable scheme. I have to split my tractor over the next few weeks so probably won't make any progress on this.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 - by Pete O - 09-15-2017, 04:27 AM