Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2
(01-22-2019, 01:14 AM)Pete O Wrote: I finished a stage of this process today, getting the cheek plates mounted to the sides of the overarm. A pair of 10mm dowels went in to locate everything whilst I drilled, tapped, counterbored and bevelled for thirteen 1/2" UNC capscrews each side. All done in stub-milling mode with the overarm held in the big shaper vice on the mill.
[attachment=15993]
[attachment=15994]
[attachment=15995]

This number of bolts may seem excessive but the thickness of the casting was an unknown quantity; the first side I did turns out to be significantly thicker than the second side. Average about 7 threads in each hole in the first side, on the second side some holes only have about 4 threads so i was thankful I had gone for the swiss-cheese approach.
[attachment=15997]
[attachment=15998]

[attachment=15999]
[attachment=16000]

The next step is to machine the top surfaces of the two cheek plates to a common plane, a third plate will then be bolted down onto that top surface at the front edge. Going to have to mount the vertical attachment AGAIN. Then it's going to have to come off AGAIN to stub-mill the front surface of the three plates.

Pete O, it has taken about two hours with some interruptions to read through your achievements trials and tribulations. Thank you for taking the additional precious time to share this great example of cheerful perseverance.

john aka castellated nut
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 - by castellated nut - 01-22-2019, 03:41 AM