Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2
Had a few other things to do today but I took some time to grind my tramming ring, checked it on the surface plate and it's within .0001" all around. I set it up on the mill and adjusted the tilt to within one division on my .002mm DTI, then checked the nod and found it to be 0.1mm over the diameter of the ring which is about 160mm, so about .004" in 6 1/2". I'm having to mix metric & imperial measurements due to what equipment I happen to have, I'm actually more comfortable working in imperial with fine work, even though Australia went metric when I was seven years old.

The geometric relationship between the spindle and the front plate was too much to try and figure out late in the day so I decided to use trial and error to get the shim thickness required, which will translate into the amount of taper that will be ground into the front plate. I tried shimming the front plate by .005", that got the nod error down to .025mm, found a bit of .006" shim stock and that got the tilt to within one division on the .002mm DTI, probably near enough for the bush.

I'll disassemble back to the front plate and grind it to a .006" taper, that should get the nod about right.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 - by Pete O - 04-12-2019, 04:50 AM