Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2
The Frankenmill lives!

Still a few things to sort out; a top cover for the motor; enclosure, bracket and arm for the MachTach; a new tilt worm adjuster to replace the broken one; plus I want to make a cover to keep swarf out of the horizontal spindle. And re-do the runaway paint job on the motor cowl  Blush  I may or may not end up using a VFD but for now it's just wired parallel with the main machine, runs nice and quietly with the new motor bearings.
I was a bit worried that the nod might be out of tram after re-assembling it, it's just within a thou (.00094) over my tramming ring. Considering there's sag in the knee I'll live with that.

I tried to find a photo online that showed the reference mark for the tilt azimuth scale, if anyone has one that can show me this I'd be interested to see it. Once I got it trammed, I made a tiny hole in the grey finish and filled it with black enamel for a zero reference, just visible here if you open the photo:

I used a little moly grease on the overarm dovetails during reassembly, I can now slide it out to full extension without too much difficulty so I don't think gear drives or support wheels are going to be necessary. In the photos above, the quill is centered over the table in the middle of the Y-axis movement.

This has been a fun project and a great learning experience, I'm very happy with the result and grateful for all the help along the way. Looking forward to using it, first project will be the MachTach bracket and enclosure.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 - by Pete O - 05-28-2019, 04:18 AM