T-nuts; heat treat or not?
I'm making some T-nuts out of a chunk of forklift tyne- presumed 4140- wondering whether I should heat-treat them when done or if I'm best leaving the material as-is to avoid making the threads brittle? They'll be threaded 1/2-13 UNC to match some existing hardware and set aside for use on the shaper.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
If you haven't annealed the material before starting I'd leave it as it is - its probably already a nice balance of hardness/toughness.

Steve
Thanks given by:
I made a number of T nuts and just used 1018.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
I doubt the ubiquitous Chinese ones we all use are anything more than 1018...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I like to harden any tools I make. It makes them much more durable, especially in the case of tee-nuts, which take quite a beating in use. Just be sure to temper them after hardening so they aren't brittle.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(09-18-2017, 04:22 AM)Pete O Wrote: I'm making some T-nuts out of a chunk of forklift tyne- presumed 4140- wondering whether I should heat-treat them when done or if I'm best leaving the material as-is to avoid making the threads brittle? They'll be threaded 1/2-13 UNC to match some existing hardware and set aside for use on the shaper.

I wouldn't bother to heat treat unless you will give them heavy use. I have made T-Nuts from CRS, even aluminum for light duty work holding. I use an aluminum T-Nut to hold a indicator on the mill. I threaded one end of a 3/8 shaft to fit the T-Nut. The indicator bracket slides over it and locks at any height. 
If you make T-Nuts, make sure  you deform the thread at the bottom , prevents the studs from chewing up the mill slot. Store bought T-Nuts are made that way. I do this with a hammer and cape chisel. 

mike
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2017, 04:54 PM)kwoodhands Wrote: I wouldn't bother to heat treat unless you will give them heavy use. I have made T-Nuts from CRS, even aluminum for light duty work holding. I use an aluminum T-Nut to hold a indicator on the mill. I threaded one end of a 3/8 shaft to fit the T-Nut. The indicator bracket slides over it and locks at any height. 
If you make T-Nuts, make sure  you deform the thread at the bottom , prevents the studs from chewing up the mill slot. Store bought T-Nuts are made that way. I do this with a hammer and cape chisel. 

mike

Good tips Mike.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum.

Ed
Thanks given by: