Question on a 109 metal lathe.
Good evening,folks.. Done a little work on the 109. Got some questions.  The main drive pulley inside the housing has a gear on it that connect in between 3 larger gears. Well the side opiset the gear is wallowed out[I`m guessing.]  Does it have a bearing or bushing there. No indication of one.What good does that arrangement have . I can`t see any need for that. Can I just put a regular stepdown pulley there and forget the three gears.  I think the pulley is a nu.3515 according to my owners book.

Course I`d buy a new factory pulley[or used] if I could find it.The side with the gear is wore very little but the other side is twice as big. the shaft is 1/2 inch. Ebay doesn`t show anything and my book doesn`t show the gear.

Any help appreciated. Have a great rest of the week.,Everett
Thanks given by:
Hi,folks... The main drive pulley has a gear on it and one side is wallowed out big time.It goes in between 3 gears of which I can see no need to be there as they don`t do anything. Can I put a regular step down pulley on it or do I have to stay with the original setup?

Any help appreciated,have a great rest of the week and thanks,buster
Thanks given by:
Pictures would help a lot. I just can't visualize the setup.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-27-2017, 07:04 AM)EdK Wrote: Pictures would help a lot. I just can't visualize the setup.

Ed

Hi,all..EDK,I tried to post a photo and was told it was too big.  I don`t know how to resize that photo and I`ve never had any trouble posting other places. No problem tho. I got the lathe up and running. Those were called back gears and was put on there to slow down the spindle for threading.  Totally useless setup as there are several ways to slow down the spindle. All they did was freewill more or less on the shaft connected to the drive pulley.

The idea must not have worked too good as that was the first setup I had ever saw. I have seen a lot of lathes of all sizes. My dream lathe has always been a CNC lathe. A friend in the big city has one. Put your piece in,program the computer,punch  the start button and go about your other work,Come back and your piece is done perfectly.
AS soon as I get time I`ll tell everyone how I got it set up,speed and so forth.I got about a hour work left and I`ll be good to turn,mostly cosmetic.

Modern technology,Weekend is here,Have a great one and new week,Buster/Everett
Thanks given by: EdK
Hi,all... Sorry for not getting back so quick but I have been having computer problems sign in. Haven`t got to try the 109 yet,been busy. I put a new motor,I took off a new wood lathe,I had. That stupid motor starting acting up. Instead of starting one way like it is supposed,it`ll start either direction or go a little and reverse the other direction.It is a induction motor. I can`t complain tho as it is a Harbor freight motor .LOL  I got one a friend is bringing me tomorrow.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong with that HF motor. I`ve never saw one like that. I used that motor a few times.

Another question,what size photo will I be able to post on the forum here.The last photo,I tried,I took with my apple Ipad 2. I may try my cell phone,but it doesn`t take very good photos,it`s cheap like me. FWIF,I hate digital photos.
I went up on my profile and didn`t see anything to add about me personally. So ask about me and I`ll try to explain me. I`m 83 yrs old. a few months,84. Lot experence[which I forgot],of course. Retired as millwright/welder certified,of course in all phases of welding except atomic welding and didn`t want the responsible for that. Married 65 yrs,4 kids.
several hobbies. retired 22yrs ago with a decent income which in 22years has been gobbled up in half by inflation,I guess.

O.K., everyone have a great weekend and a new week,Everett
Thanks given by:
(10-13-2017, 07:39 PM)buster Wrote: Another question,what size photo will I be able to post on the forum here.

The limit is on the files size. A JPEG file is limited to 2MB in size. There's no limit to the image size, only the file size.

Ed
Thanks given by: buster
I'm a newcomer too, welcome !

I bought one of those little lathes in 1970, as best as I can recall.  It was mounted on a piece of plywood and the owner just placed it anywhere that was convenient for his armature work - even in the trunk of his car.  I bought it for $100, which was a lot of money for me at the time.  But it was in fine condition and that little machine did a lot of good work after being properly mounted.

I tooled it up well, three different chucks, made a four-way toolpost at work  (I worked in a machine shop while I was in college), a home-made external collet system (accommodated only three or four sizes), live center which was a big deal for me - even found a milling attachment.  I was sorry to let it go as a result of financial problems.  Many people disparage those cute little things (whine about "mazak" gears for example) but I sure loved mine.

I hope that you will have the same satisfaction with yours as I did !
Thanks given by:
I don't think anyone would whine about a Mazak lathe though. https://www.mazakusa.com/machines/process/turning/

Zamak gears on the other hand... http://www.chemtrend.com/material/alloys_metals/zinc

I'm a bit dislexic myself so I have that problem all the time. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(10-14-2017, 08:53 PM)randyc Wrote: I'm a newcomer too, welcome !

I bought one of those little lathes in 1970, as best as I can recall.  It was mounted on a piece of plywood and the owner just placed it anywhere that was convenient for his armature work - even in the trunk of his car.  I bought it for $100, which was a lot of money for me at the time.  But it was in fine condition and that little machine did a lot of good work after being properly mounted.

I tooled it up well, three different chucks, made a four-way toolpost at work  (I worked in a machine shop while I was in college), a home-made external collet system (accommodated only three or four sizes), live center which was a big deal for me - even found a milling attachment.  I was sorry to let it go as a result of financial problems.  Many people disparage those cute little things (whine about "mazak" gears for example) but I sure loved mine.

I hope that you will have the same satisfaction with yours as I did !

Thanks.randyc.. I had a little taig I bought to play with  and I had a lot of fun. My biggest trouble was about 20 yrs ago,I started downsizing  so my wife would have to mess this stuff.when I passed on. I`ve seen too many of my friends leave a bunch and their relation didn`t know what it was worth. So they gave it away. I try to look for the future as life isn`t always predictable. LOL. I could kick myself because I sold a atlas  8x40[I think] for $400 dollars and the fellow made a hogging cut and broke the 4 jaw chuck. This 109 is good and tight but it has been well used.
Still works good but I`ll need a new lead screw for it in the future. This forum has helped me tremendously for the time I`ve been here and I appreciate that. If I can ever help anyone  all you have to do is let me know. Learn as much as you can,it`ll help when you get age on you.

Look at the bright side and forget about yesterday,Everett LOL
Thanks given by:
(10-14-2017, 09:25 PM)Highpower Wrote: I don't think anyone would whine about a Mazak lathe though.  https://www.mazakusa.com/machines/process/turning/

Zamak gears on the other hand...  http://www.chemtrend.com/material/alloys_metals/zinc

I'm a bit dislexic myself so I have that problem all the time.  Big Grin

Hi,Highpower..I like your photo on your post. Motorcycles is my favorite ride.Too old to ride now i`m too fragile LOL

Have a great new week,Everett
Thanks given by: