Lathe Tool Grinding Helper
Well, I feel really stupid now, ha-ha-ha.  I ordered mine from eBay and what was offered was 1000 mm and 250 mm.  It didn't occur to me that the scales could be tailored to the machine. Bash
Thanks given by:
DRO arrived today - one week from the order date.  The original confirmation from eBay stated that the item would ship from China and the ETA would be 23 January, which sounded reasonable to me.  One of the two packages had obviously been opened and re-taped.  Because of that and the early delivery, I suspected that I was getting some else's return <sigh>.

And so it seems since the "Y" axis display doesn't function.  I swapped the connector for the "Y" scale to the "X" input on the display cabinet and still no reading.  That seems to indicate that the scale is disfunctional and not the circuits within the display cabinet, right ?  Should I just ask for a scale replacement or ask for the entire rig to be replaced ?

I suppose the thing shipped from a local distributor for the Chinese manufacturer.  I' did the eBay return thing and hope for the best.  Anyone else ever returned something purchased from eBay ?  Was the process a reasonable one or did you have to fight for a refund or replacement, LOL ?

Weather is cold and rainy so all in all, it's not a major setback, I may have been too lazy to work anyway.

Edited to add:  Just received an e-mail from the seller, he asked for a photo.  Wow, that was a quick response to my complaint and sounds promising !
Thanks given by:
I've had items come from China in a week with DHL. The DRO was slow but ordered it just before Christmas.
If both inputs on the display seam to work I'd opt for just the scale. Next one nothing may work.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(01-18-2018, 08:43 PM)f350ca Wrote: ...............Next one nothing may work.

Thanks given by:
I have also received items from China in one weeks time, which shocked the heck out of me. Then again the last item I ordered from China took over 7 weeks to arrive. Different seller using their economy class of mail instead of airmail.

If it actually did ship from China, it's possible the opened and re-taped package could have been due to a customs inspection. If it didn't have a customs declaration label on the package then it didn't come directly from China.
Willie
Thanks given by:
When I was regularly importing product from China, DHL packages typically took 2-4 days. 4 only happened once and that was due to a weekend. Customs/DHL Clearing opened every package and re-packed it, then sealed it with some yellowish packing tape. Never had anything missing or broken. USPS, on the other hand ...
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(01-18-2018, 10:12 PM)Highpower Wrote: I have also received items from China in one weeks time, which shocked the heck out of me. Then again the last item I ordered from China took over 7 weeks to arrive. Different seller using their economy class of mail instead of airmail.

If it actually did ship from China, it's possible the opened and re-taped package could have been due to a customs inspection. If it didn't have a customs declaration label on the package then it didn't come directly from China.

Both are excellent points !  (There was no customs stamp or sticker on the package so probably shipped from a U.S. distributor.)

The last e-mail from the seller suggested that I disassemble the scale unit and described a possible problem/fix.  He (they) has/have been courteous, prompt and responsive and I'm inclined to go along with this even though I've no obligation.  I've written that I will do so if he provides a detailed description of the procedure and absolves me of any responsibility for damage.

My reasons for doing this are as follows and I welcome comments if this is dumb, OK ?
  • If this is a simple fix, I save the time of driving into town and posting the scale back.  I save the waiting time for the turn-around, I'm sort of pumped about getting the DRO installed now since I've never had one.
  • Mostly, however, the detailed instructions will be good to have when I cut the scales to size and this one will already be disassembled and ready to cut.
If anyone notes that this is a long and drawn out post for such a simple problem, you are right !  I have too much time on my hands  Big Grin

Vinny, the package was indeed re-sealed with bright yellow tape  Thumbsup so the package may have cleared customs and was then warehoused by the distributor.
Thanks given by:
Yep bright yellow tape on the DHL shipped boxes for the DRO.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(01-18-2018, 11:14 PM)Vinny Wrote: Never had anything missing or broken.  USPS, on the other hand ...

Smiley-signs131 Not something I wanted to hear right now....
Fingers crossed.
Willie
Thanks given by:
What, USPS? I just received a bluetooth headset in a box. The box was kinda crushed in one spot. No damage but that spot also turned the damn thing on! I have a package the was out for delivery today. Mail came, delivered MOST of what they were supposed to, one item not delivered or marked delivered in tracking. Now it's marked delivered but it ain't here. They did this before, it'll be here tomorrow. Then there is the package that arrived in Denver on the 12th. It's STILL THERE! Any time something's "delayed", it gets punished for being late and is delivered even later. At least Atlanta is finally moving again. I have 4 packages logjammed there. Tracking removed the est delivery date long ago on those.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: