trigger finger
Most machinists/tool makers are intimately familiar with the medical condition known as trigger finger.  I've had all eight fingers surgically released plus carpel tunnel on both wrists.  I recently learned it can return on previously repaired digits.   Bleh

My right index finger started triggering again along with both thumbs.   Smiley-signs131

Saw the orthopedic PA at the Evansville VA Clinic this AM and am now scheduled with one of the orthopedic surgeons on Dec 1.  The PA told me surgery is usually scheduled a week after the appointment with the surgeon.  So here we go again.  Fortunately the PA was very receptive to my input especially given I've been down this road before & I have taught ergonomics.  I'll have the surgery there at the Evansville Clinic rather than having to travel to Marion IL.   Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
Man, I feel for you, anything that affects motor movement or positioning of the fingers/hands is really limiting to one's life !!!

(I have congenital hereditary motor movement problems similar to Parkinson's disease.  Hands tremble all the time and occasionally my arms just spasm, going in directions over which I have no control.  It's embarrassing to say the least, especially when eating  with others.

I need both hands to hold a fork .  Eating soup with a spoon is absolutely out of the question and I usually position drinking glasses a couple of feet from me, if possible.)

But having all of your fingers surgically altered along with carpal tunnel is something that I can't even imagine.  I hope that your surgery is effective - how long will the recovery period be and what are the chances of restoring full movement ?  And, if you don't mind this inquiry, what is your age ? 

With high hopes for a successful procedure,
randyc
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you have it a lot worse than I.

My previous surgeries were quite successful resulting in full range of motion and pain free.  Recovery time was a couple of weeks if I remember correctly.  I'm 64 so I had my first hand surgery when I was about 50.  When I had my first carpel tunnel surgery I held a conversation with the surgeon while he did the repair as I sat in a recliner.

In addition I've had four knee surgeries unrelated to my hand issues.  The knee problems stemmed from having the choice of being run over by a full sized Chevy sedan or laying down a 50cc Honda scooter.  Tangled my R foot between the frame & the engine when I went down.   Smiley-signs131 Matters only worsened over time requiring knee repairs culminating with an ACL replacement after I fell on some concrete steps (partial tear) and then full on ripped in half after I fell on an icy parking lot.
Thanks given by:
Wow !  For a guy of your modestly middle age, you've thrown a lot of business to the medical gods.  I've had a number of surgeries too, starting with lung removal, but I'm more than a decade older than you.

Glad to hear that your history has been 100% favorable - one hopes that the next procedure(s) will be equally successful !  (FWIW, I'm not sure that my problems are worse than yours, I don't have any pain at all.)

Cheers !
Thanks given by:
I'm glad there have been medical advances as I remember when I began the trade there was no relief for those with trigger finger.  I also find it quite surprising that my Dad didn't have hand problems from repetitive motions as he was a meat cutter.  Had a whole lot of cuts including one that reduced the length of one thumb by about an 1/8 of an inch so maybe that balanced out.
Thanks given by: