My First Project
I've tried using oil when cutting cast iron before. But I don't want the abrasive slurry getting on my lathe. If I ever run out of valve grinding compound, at least I know how to whip some up in a pinch. Rotfl

Wet or dry you still have to clean up a mess either way. In Ed's case however, when he's done with a machine for the day it's not just clean - it's sterile! Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2017, 11:38 AM)Highpower Wrote:  In Ed's case however, when he's done with a machine for the day it's not just clean - it's sterile!   Big Grin

Just like my machines, I learned from Ed.

I machine it dry, seam to get a better finish, the oil slurry seams to erode the surface behind the cutter.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2017, 07:10 AM)Mayhem Wrote: You must have conniptions when you machine cast iron Ed.  Either you are going to get your machines dusty or oily Big Grin

I much prefer oily. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2017, 11:38 AM)Highpower Wrote: Wet or dry you still have to clean up a mess either way.

But, I don't have to worry about breathing the dust and I can see where the mess is. With dust it goes in all of the nooks and crannies and makes for an extended cleanup. I like keeping my machines clean but not at the cost of it taking more time than machining.

Ed
Thanks given by:
When I was building & rebuilding chain makers at Columbus McKinnon I ran a Lucas boring mill machining the main castings.  They were cut dry and my roughing tool was a 12 or 18 inch carbide insert face mill.  Half inch deep cuts using about 95% of the width.  I would leave work some nights looking like a coal miner.   Yikes
Thanks given by: