Help Switching To A QCTP
FWIW, as stupid as this sounds, several experiments indicated that .001 DOC was too much for my HSS tool !!!!  It wore significantly - maybe .0002 over two inches on a CRS workpiece.  That's not good and I might understand chatter if the local cutting edge has broken down significantly (BTW, the scuffed edge is visible under magnification).  But with a sharp carbide cutter like you used, it doesn't make sense.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 degrees is also what I used (but didn't measure it).  From what I read a few years ago, the angle isn't critical and anything between 15 and 45 doesn't produce much difference.  I guess intuition would suggest that the further the angle is from vertical, the less wear (more cutting surface ?) but also less of a "knife-edge" if that is important.

It's a fascinating concept but obviously has weaknesses and so far not a single thing that I've read convinces me that the writer has a good handle on the process.  There was one person who REALLY tested the concept, even extrapolating it to fly cutters.  I can't recall his name but probably a quick search will turn it up.  I may do that later today.

This is the geometry of my shear tool - unused since I made my initial tests.  It's really sharp (and maybe TOO sharp ?), you can see the polished areas on the edge from the Arkansas stone.

BTW, I never quite "got" the tangential cutter.  The geometry is easily replicated with a conventional AR style cutter so what would be the advantage ???
Thanks given by:
Apologies to the OP for de-railing his thread !!!! I'll stay on topic now !
Thanks given by: